Clutch Issues

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Well, gentlemen, it's been quite a while since I felt the need to post a question here, but I just lurk and read a lot! My time has come...

Truck is a 2002 F250 7.3 PSD with a ZF6 manual trans, not a 4x4. I purchased it pre-owned in January 2017 with about 204,000 miles on the odometer. About 3 years ago with 241,695 miles on it I had the clutch replaced and the u-joints, etc. in the driveline repaired as necessary.

Fast forward to today... About 3 years and about 22,650 miles added (odo at 22,646 today) the clutch is now slipping like crazy. If I apply a bit of throttle at or near a lower shift point (say, 25mph in 3rd gear) it just flat lets go. The engine RPM jumps, but truck no move!!! I'm also experiencing a lot of "jumpiness" when just slipping the clutch to slowly reverse or move forward...not a fast "shudder", but more like a bucking or jerkiness. Really weird.

The replacement clutch was a LuK complete kit, including flywheel, supposedly a premium model.

I guess I'm looking for answers and/or recommendations. I'm inclined to shy away from LuK at this point since this last one didn't last nearly as long as one would expect. I don't do heavy towing...the most I've pulled is a 6000-pound travel trailer about 3 times.

What's the collective think? Dual-disc clutch? Pucks? Preferred brand? Root cause of the problem if it's not just a lousy clutch kit?

You guys haven't let me down yet! Thanks in advance...

Dave

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found that usually when one is lunging with clutch engagement ( usually worst when trying to ease up an incline in reverse ) is usually the pilot or input shaft bearing letting the input shaft wobble around.

James

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
That makes sense. I'll have it checked out when they pull the trans. I'd still like to know how a clutch goes into slip mode after only a bit over 20K miles, though. There has to be a reason, even if it's just a lousy junk clutch kit. Good parts are hard to find these days.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure that the hydraulics are completely releasing. I had a 94 460 zf5 truck that would with each pedal push keep building pressure until it would finally start slipping.

When I would start to notice it slipping I could crawl under the truck and open the bleeder on slave cylinder and watch the arm release. I'm not sure exactly what was causing it, after about a year of fighting it I went a bought a Raybestos brand pre bled master slave and line and the problem went away.

James

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Thanks for that. It's one more thing to check! I can't get under the truck to do anything myself, so I'll have to trust the trans shop...but they're very good and they tend to listen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86