Pulling Hair Out with ZF5 Install - What's the Trick to Installing One?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, look at that pto.

By the way, did you know that some transfer cases came with a pto option? I was under my truck the other day and forgot mine had it. Big ol rectangle plate on the side of it.
I didn't know that! But now I know and knowing is half the battle.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fought my ZF5 for what seemed like forever and then ended up picking up on the front of the engine to change the angle and then I was able to get it to go. If it isn't going just recheck your angles. Good luck.
Same here. Boy do I love working alone...

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to hook up my engine hoist, to get a better angle. Was at a transmission shop and they had the rear of the cars jacked way up, guessing using the weight of the transmission to slide in?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I fought my ZF5 for what seemed like forever and then ended up picking up on the front of the engine to change the angle and then I was able to get it to go. If it isn't going just recheck your angles. Good luck.
I like to look up at the bellhousing and adapter plate from underneath while I'm installing a transmission to check the angles. That and checking the gaps on each side can tell you how to move the transmission.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, I'm not trying to be a butt, but maybe do the alignment tool again just to make sure that the clutch is centered. And try yelling, nothing vulgar, just kinda like Stallone in a Rambo movie. It might not get the tranny any closer, but you'll feel better.........I promise.......AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Well, you were definitely on to something here! I looked at the clutch and pilot alignment and saw that the clutch disk wasn't quite centered. Pulled the pressure plate off and reinstalled but this time I eyeballed it to make sure it was straight and didn't use the alignment tool.

From there, I tried to use bolts to pull it in again, but stopped when it started to bind a bit. Then I took the bolts out, but left in the all thread in the lower bolt holes. From there, I wrassled with it for a while, turning the output shaft periodically, and right when I was about to give up and pull the engine, it went in!

Got the bolts torqued to 60 ft/lbs and got the crossmember in, too.

Thanks for all the input!

Scott

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atleast y’all have tranny jacks! Trying to alight the clutch splines while you benching a the trans is not fun
Been there with a 4x4 t18, that was 20 years ago though. I doubt I could even get the damn thing on my chest now, let alone bench press it into place.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch... Yeah I don't have a trans jack, just a harbor freight low profile floor jack...
Me too, but I made a little platform for transmissions that I can ratchet strap it to and the tranny can't fall off the floor jack.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No trans jack here either. I keep telling myself that it happens so rarely that I don't need one. Floor jack, wood blocking, and the latest stat of the art innovation: straps between the frame rails.

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been there with no trans jack before. When I was stationed in Korea, I ended up swapping out the NP246 transfer case in my '99 Yukon in the parking lot of my housing complex in the freezing rain. Not a lot of fun, but better than bench-pressing a ZF5.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quite a few years back I was swapping out my auto trans in my 85 Mercedes 300D, for manual 240D 4-spd trans.
I picked up this HF Jack and for the most part was ok. That trans only weighed 53lbs.

Later on, maybe 5 yrs ago, I needed to drop the T-19 out of my 86 F-250. No way was I going to use it.
I needed a larger Jack. Located a HF Trans jack on CL. Guy used it one time, and wanted it gone, gave me a great price. Think I paid $80.
Easy to use and very stable compared to the first one.

Must be a good one, has the Prop-65 endorsement. ;Really

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86