Gettin' pissed over a ZF-5 install

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok that up close picture it looks more normal. It definitely should be turned around the other direction though. I'm really not sure what is going on if it doesn't work turned around the other direction.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the zf transmissions I have dealt with seem to use the same shifter. I guess it is possible there could be different variations out there though. I have currently have 6 different ones ranging from an 89 small block zf5, a couple of mid 90's big blocks, a couple of mid 90's diesel and a 01 zf6. The shifter stub is the same across all of them.

James

John_piv

Reaction score
All of the zf transmissions I have dealt with seem to use the same shifter. I guess it is possible there could be different variations out there though. I have currently have 6 different ones ranging from an 89 small block zf5, a couple of mid 90's big blocks, a couple of mid 90's diesel and a 01 zf6. The shifter stub is the same across all of them.

James
You must be registered for see images attach

Mine is a two-wheel drive trans out of a 89 f450. I've honestly never seen a tower bet like that before. Would it be worth popping it out heating it up and bending it in the other direction? Or should I just go buy one that's right?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's just weird, the f-super is still the same cab as an f150. I don't understand why it doesn't work.

But if it were me I would probably try to find one before trying to modify that one, but i am very **** about keeping modifications as close to original as possible.

Transmission shop would probably be the best bet, I doubt many salvage yards would sell that part without buying the entire Transmission.

James

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Either that, or it's bent. Every single one I've seen plus all the ones here, the shifter bolts on from the right side. Yours bolts on from the left. Something fishy is afoot.

John_piv

Reaction score
All right, pulled the shifter itself out of the top of the trans and it looks very different from the one pictured above. The ring for the boot to sit on is much higher up, and the shaft almost seems longer. See a part number on it too but I can't make it out perfectly. Looks like ZF 1308 305 177.

Does look like it'd be fairly simple to bend, so that is still an option. Any chance I can get the link to the shifter from above? Thanks

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are rite about it being longer. Definitely looks different that the ones I have dealt with.

I will see if I can find a part # on my parts truck when I get back to the house.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All right, pulled the shifter itself out of the top of the trans and it looks very different from the one pictured above. The ring for the boot to sit on is much higher up, and the shaft almost seems longer. See a part number on it too but I can't make it out perfectly. Looks like ZF 1308 305 177.

Does look like it'd be fairly simple to bend, so that is still an option. Any chance I can get the link to the shifter from above? Thanks

It's a unicorn.......

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust it if you bend it, I'd think that it would make a weak spot. But I'm not a metallurgical expert....... and I'm crazy.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@John_piv
You've got a weird one. I just took the shifter stub off of one of my 4 ZF5s, pic attached. Angle of yours is all wrong, no idea what that is from. Possibly modified for a custom stick.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your shift stub has been welded it looks like, maybe torched and bent too