Gettin' pissed over a ZF-5 install

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn you guys are scaring me. I gotta put my trans and engine back in when I get my engine back from Machine shop.

I’m wondering if it would be easier to marry them together outside of the truck and drop them in together.

I pulled the engine out on the 1 ton setting, so weight wise I should be good to put the engine with trans in back together with this engine hoist, right?

I’m not sure if I could squeeze them in together. Anyone ever done it this way?

Seems like it would beat fighting them while laying on your back underneath the truck lol
You must be registered for see images attach
I put mine in together, it's crazy heavy, but there's no fussing with alignment. I'm crazy as well, so take my advice with caution.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My newest one is 36 years old.
I am starting to go that direction. I currently have 3 bullnose trucks. I have been talking about getting rid of most of the powerstrokes. Seems like I spend a lot more time working on them than the older ones.

Will probably keep both of my 97's but that's just because the F350 is in really good condition.

The crew cab short bed is going to get converted to an idi due to the powerstroke block water jacket being split. Also getting a bullnose front clip and bed.

James

John_piv

Reaction score
UPDATE: that bad boy is in. Been fighting it for 3 days, but it's in. Thank y'all for the guidance.

On a slightly different note, now I'm on to the shifter. The shifter that came with my trans only fits two ways. One way would go through my firewall, and the other hits the dash in 1, 3, and 5; as well as sits in the passengers lap. Did they make different shifters or shifter assemblies for the smaller trucks (trans is from 450). If so, what's a good spot to find / make one. Most for sale looked like mine, a straight line from the shift tower.

Thanks!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Maybe the nub on the transmission is on backwards? Zf shifters all looked the same to me between the 250, 350, 450 and f super duties

John_piv

Reaction score

This is what I'm working, if I flip it put it the other way it just shoves it further forward

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me that looks like someone made it. Definitely doesn't look like any of the ones I have had.

Give me a few minutes and I will check out my parts truck and see if the shifter and boot are on it.

James

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have enough service at the moment to load the pictures I took. Mine is flipped around where the bolts go in from the driver side.

James

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@John_piv That shifter looks to be mounted backwards. Should tilt to the bottom left, basically mirrored from where it is

John_piv

Reaction score
I don't have enough service at the moment to load the pictures I took. Mine is flipped around where the bolts go in from the driver side.

James
That's what I thought, every one I've ever seen seems to bend the other way. But again, popping the shifter out of the neck spinning it around and putting it back in just makes the shifter bend forward.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@John_piv is there either a ridge or slot running up that piece straight across both holes? From your picture that piece just doesn't look factory to me.

@BlindAmbition to me yours looks factory. Yours looks like it has rounded corners and looks to be forged. His picture looks to be very squared off like it was cut. I also don't see the alignment slot down the center of it that I believe was on all of them.

James

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Only took 15 minutes of standing in the middle of my yard with my arm up in the air but, here is the best picture I can get without disassembly.

James

John_piv

Reaction score
@John_piv is there either a ridge or slot running up that piece straight across both holes? From your picture that piece just doesn't look factory to me.

@BlindAmbition to me yours looks factory. Yours looks like it has rounded corners and looks to be forged. His picture looks to be very squared off like it was cut. I also don't see the alignment slot down the center of it that I believe was on all of them.

James
Yeah, the ridge faces the driver's side.

I know how it's supposed to go, but I'm not to sure how I'd do it. If it is aftermarket/custom it's a pretty decent job. I don't see any cut or weld marks anywhere in the entire shaft.

Here's how it looks with the stick attached in neutral