Installing engine and trans together.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I've pulled and installed many idi engines. Curious about pulling/installing them with the ZF5 attached? I have lots of lifting power/reach and means of support. Im doing an install of both engine and trans in the bush soon without means of a decent jack or decent ground to work on. The front clip has been removed. I'd like to spare myself the rolling around under the truck putting the trans in, in this situation. The t-case I can manage after the fact, but would like to slip the engine and trans in together. With use of a big loader and heavy forks.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ve got to pull the core support too. I don’t really know how you would take them out together, I have only put them in together, otherwise separate.

I would assume trying to install with transfer case would be pretty much impossible with the cab on…

Taking them each out separate is much easier, and personally I think installing the engine before the transmission is too

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've only pulled them out together. I also only did it one time and said "Never again!". The transfer case was off, and that stupid transmission still got hung up so many times that I was really regretting my decision. It was a wrecked truck. The hood was off and I cut the core support out of the way so I thought it should have come right out, but I was wrong. I never recommend trying it. People do, but I'm used to people not taking my advice so it doesn't bother me.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is another Thread on the same subject.

Goat

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've pulled two and installed one. Every occasion engine and trans were still bolted together, core support removed. One key piece of info, "remove the oil filter"! Oh, and no starter!