High pyrometer readings on 6.9L IDIT

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah hell that’s lower than mine. You ain’t gonna burn it up like that. Just keep an eye on the gauge and keep on a rollin

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The van I got has been running way EGT cooler than the RV, no surprise there, with an extra gear and less weight, wind resistance, and rolling resistant (no dually). Different turbo kit, but the probe is in roughly the same spot on Banks Gen 1 as on ATS 085.

R Kingsbury

Reaction score
im looking for as much overhead as possible both for hauling and for power potential, even with this pump maxed out its a slug, 0-60 is in the range of 17 seconds and i dont even know how its gonna do with a loaded car trailer behind it. The plan is to (at least once as necessary, potentially more) be hauling a double car trailer interstate with this thing and im deciding whether or not the old IDIs are up to the task or not

some numbers for reference are an 8000 lb truck unloaded, (4WD, Utility short bed with super cab) and a trailer with a GVWR of 21000, likely more in the 16-17K range, total weight pushing right up on the limit of non CDL hauling

Black dawg

Reaction score
You are going to be asking alot out of a non studded 6.9, unless you are not in a hurry.

R Kingsbury

Reaction score
It doesnt have to be this IDI, I have a fresher IDI im studding and a core im throwing together with shaved pistons plus studs. Not in the biggest hurry but 55-65 without leaving it mashed on the flats would be cool

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesnt have to be this IDI, I have a fresher IDI im studding and a core im throwing together with shaved pistons plus studs. Not in the biggest hurry but 55-65 without leaving it mashed on the flats would be cool
That sounds like a solid plan. They can be made to run good and strong. They just weren’t very powerful in stock form.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Those weights arent crazy, I just got the idea from your original post that you may have been expecting more modern diesel type performance out of a 6.9.

Gearing and tire size will be important, being slightly under powered. If you are planning to build another engine, my rec would be a 7.3 with stock 7.3 pump maxxed, and 093 set to about 15psi. Larger outlet on the turbine.

R Kingsbury

Reaction score
The whole trick to running the IDIs is cost effectiveness, i looked into the 7.3 but the cavitation problems worry me, especially with sleeving being as expensive as it is. If the price for the IDI stuff ends up too high id be throwing money into what otherwise could have been a VE 12 valve.

Although looking at an HX35 that turbo should bolt up and work with the 093 turbo kit at least on the exhaust side. What makes the 7.3 pump different from the 6.9 pump physically/internally and are there any stanadyne db2 "upgrade" parts i can install into an older pump?

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
Cavitation is a concern, however I have only seen it once, in many many trucks. 6.9s are not without concerns, and absolutely need head studs.

6.9 pump has smaller plungers in the rotor. Dont know any other differences for sure, but know that putting a 6.9 pump on my 7.3 lost a lot of power.

R Kingsbury

Reaction score
Ah hell that’s lower than mine. You ain’t gonna burn it up like that. Just keep an eye on the gauge and keep on a rollin
I can heat it right up to 1300+ if i leave my foot in it, but i only have so many more idis laying around
Cavitation is a concern, however I have only seen it once, in many many trucks. 6.9s are not without concerns, and absolutely need head studs.

6.9 pump has smaller plungers in the rotor. Dont know any other differences for sure, but know that putting a 6.9 pump on my 7.3 lost a lot of power.
Oh the plungers are different even in the 7.3 NA? that gives me an idea for the next budget pump at least. And yeah i agree that 7/16 head bolts are laughable on the 6.9.

Some backstory on the 7.3 is amongst my uncles boneyard of 5 or 6 dead IDIs lays a 40k mile 7.3 idit with a pinhole in #7. That was the last straw for him so now his 94 has a cummins lol

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cavitation isn`t a problem if you use the proper coolant with the additives. Lot of people don`t know about using it.

If you want your engine done right, sent it to Justin at R & D. He will fix you right up.

My 86 0 - 60 is eventually, as it is naturally exasperated. But I catch up with the big guys at the next red light, as they take off in a cloud of smoke.:peelout

Goat

R Kingsbury

Reaction score
Unless you go crazy on a build, these engine will never win very many drag races.
I dont mind crazy, long as its cheap (doing it myself over paying someone else)

On the side note of crazy im looking for a way to make the hole the fuel plungers sit in bigger so I can cut down and reuse a pair of cam rollers as larger plungers for more fuel, seriously doubt a simple drill bits gonna be precision enough for that fit though

Black dawg

Reaction score
I think that I would try to snag that 7.3 idit, and sleeve it. Did it sit with contamination in the oil or cylinder?

I dont recall what the rotor to plunger clearance is, but it is not that hard to just find a 7.3 pump. Might look at the tag on the side of your pump and make sure it is the small plunger 6.9 pump. Have seen plenty of newer pumps on the 6.9s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online