Pyrometer install questions

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to add a pyro to my truck. And my y-pipe is out right now. What is every one using as a bung to weld to the y-pipe?
The autometer gauge comes with a few mounting options including the threadolet (threaded bung). I would just find the one you want and check whats included. Summit racing sells bungs uf you get a gauge without.

Va_Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The autometer gauge comes with a few mounting options including the threadolet (threaded bung). I would just find the one you want and check whats included. Summit racing sells bungs uf you get a gauge without.

I did a little research after I posted the question and found a couple pyrometers that have the weld in bung option.

My question now is people recommend installing the probe between the last two cylinders on the manifold I guess for ease of access. What kind of temperature difference will i see from that location versus installing the probe 3" lower than the flange on the y-pipe. I cant imagine 6-8" makes that much of a difference.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a little research after I posted the question and found a couple pyrometers that have the weld in bung option.

My question now is people recommend installing the probe between the last two cylinders on the manifold I guess for ease of access. What kind of temperature difference will i see from that location versus installing the probe 3" lower than the flange on the y-pipe. I cant imagine 6-8" makes that much of a difference.
I doubt you'd see a discernable difference between the two.
FWIW I did the top of my driver's manifold between the last two cyls. Had worked good for about 10 years. I had to replace the K-type thermocouple once, a cheap Amazon replacement worked great. That was before my turbo, and if I did it again I would do the bung in the y pipe, since shavings in the turbo and I can weld(sorta!).

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a company, maybe Mr. Banks, has some numbers of it. @Thewespaul done a test before? Could use a heat gun and measure exterior temp then find the equation for interior vs exterior temp. I bet it can't be but more than a few degrees difference, 30 tops.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt you'd see a discernable difference between the two.
FWIW I did the top of my driver's manifold between the last two cyls. Had worked good for about 10 years. I had to replace the K-type thermocouple once, a cheap Amazon replacement worked great. That was before my turbo, and if I did it again I would do the bung in the y pipe, since shavings in the turbo and I can weld(sorta!).
Just found in the LeBlanc thread Wes states he saw no difference with the probe on the header or Y pipe.