Rear Main Seal Questions

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Old Goat for that recon. That definitely looks like the Navistar seal from that mexico sight. Not sure how I feel about them writing on it and having it out of the box but that's an option if I want the same seal that came out. That Ford part looks to be a original replacement but it's nice that it comes with a tool. That One on Ebay for $50 definitely looks like the beefy metal tool you could throw in a press and install the seal right the first time. Man so many options!

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the OEM Navistar seal kit containing a sleeve has a thicker sleeve than the Speedy Sleeve. That kit has an installation tool and the rear cover isn't removed. I installed that kit and after it still leaked I realized as the OP that my leak was at the oil pan corners. SKF has a seal that works if the OEM sleeve is in place. I bought it on Rock Auto. I just checked and SKF #38649 is used with OEM sleeve. SKF#37405 is used without OEM sleeve.
I think you just Nailed it! That would be considered O.E.M. sleeve since it's the Navistar kit.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ford kit linked in Old Goat's post is the one I used. I think it was branded Navistar. The installation tool is plastic and the plastic dowels index the tool to the FW bolt holes in the crank. It was supposed to be used without removing the rear cover, and installed by tapping (pounding) with a hammer. I was installing on a rebuild without the oil pan in place and the hammering was bending the rear cover. I thought I could do better so drilled the holes oversize and used flywheel bolts to press it on. The sleeve never went flush so I had to file off the bit that protruded. Anyway, the sleeve is thicker than a Speedy Sleeve so when I replaced the seal I had to use the SKF38649.

Attachments

• DSC00127.JPG
    DSC00127.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 4

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the seal I finally used.

The other one they show for $46 has the speedy seal.

So if you take the plate off, you will need the paper gasket. and Felpro is the only one I found with it.

I traced around the gasket on a manilla folder so I can now make a new one if I need one from gasket material.

The Ford parts Giant is the same one the E-Bay show.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
This is the seal I finally used.
That's the one that I'm going to install when I have my engine out this summer.
I traced around the gasket on a manilla folder so I can now make a new one if I need one from gasket material.
I know it can be done. I made a water pump gasket for one of these engines one time when I was pretty short on funds. It worked just fine.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason I mention tracing the gasket. I messed up and had to remove the Plate. Naturally the gasket gets messed up. tried to gently remove it but to no avail.
After searching through the whole Internet and not finding anyone selling the paper gasket. had to purchase another Felpro kit. That was a pricy gasket.

Iam an expert now, next Rear Main seal will be a snap.

I do need to give Hacked89 credit for the work he did and the YT Vid he made.

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.