zinc additive in newer Delo 400 need?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want your engine to last, adding proper fuel additives will make more of a difference than what oil you use. I mentioned this before and I’ll say it again, how often you change your oil matters more than what goes in.

All I do is work on old mechanical diesels, some that were outside of their oil spec before the 6.9 idi was ever produced. I own an antique jd450 with 33,000 hours on it, I run the new delo oil in it, and it will continue to run for many many hours on this oil, until it too becomes outside spec. This engine hasn’t had the oil it was designed for in probably 60 years, but yet it has never been apart....

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, i was looking for someone who is using the new Delo w/o issue and that helped! appreciate it!

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your forgetting oils have not changed much until mabe 6 years ago. And now the new delo 400 sde is out. Perhaps we should wait 20 years and see what transpires. Until then I am not going to think all is wonderful with a reformulated oil that is said to be OK with no history to prove otherwise.
Remember what they said that ethenol gas was good for the enviroment and taking lead out of gas was good for the enviroment, omitting or not knowing what it would do to the thousands of engines still running.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your forgetting oils have not changed much until mabe 6 years ago. And now the new delo 400 sde is out. Perhaps we should wait 20 years and see what transpires. Until then I am not going to think all is wonderful with a reformulated oil that is said to be OK with no history to prove otherwise.
Remember what they said that ethenol gas was good for the enviroment and taking lead out of gas was good for the enviroment, omitting or not knowing what it would do to the thousands of engines still running.
Oil hasn’t changed much is 80 years? Really?

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing we go from 60 years then 80 years throw in antique engines, when what we are talking about are engines from at most 40 years old.
There is proven data about the effects of the so called new and improved oils on engines built with different requirements. And as far as changing oil frequently, this is also miss leading. Just ask black stone about oil analysis and what realy matters about oil life and change cycles.

papadiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, kinda off topic, as I am looking for answers about Delo 400 LE vs new version for my 89 7.3. I know like coolant, this is a debated topic, but since I have used Delo 400, I would like to continue unless it is less effective for my motor. Thanks for the imput, it is always informative and at times entertaining! ;)

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, the Ford spec being mentioned that only certain oils meet, is specific to the 6.7. The new spec is for oils in the 6.7PSD, no different than VW having a spec for the TDI that not all oil meets.

I’ve seen this discussion/argument every time the oil spec changes. I remember the world was going to end in the early 2010’s when Delo switched to the LE version......... I used Delo before and after the change and have seen NO DIFFERENCE in my 6.0 before or after.....

I have engines that are 10 years old, and some that are pushing 40+.... I use the specified grade, and change it at the recommended intervals..... THAT is the important part. Incorrect grade, or leaving it in for ages is much worse than the spec changed, except for some specific situations. Hell, my 6.0 was speced to run 15w-40 conventional oil, we have found, including Ford, that a synthetic is a better choice.....

The fact you have a decent oil is the key. In the situation I am in with my IDI, it was run 5+ quarts low. Right now, it has 5 quarts of Straight 30 weight, what I use in my Single Cylinder Kohlers..... is it the “correct” oil, no, but at that moment, having the correct amount of oil was much more of a consern than it wasn’t X specific oil.... it’s not being driven right now, and I do have a case of Mobil Delvac 15w-40 waiting to go in. Did I do long term damage by putting the “wrong” oil in, maybe. But I can guarantee I would have done more long term damage if it hadn’t used the 30 weight I had.....

Unless it’s something that is a couple years old, or newer, they don’t make the “correct” oil for any of them.......

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing we go from 60 years then 80 years throw in antique engines, when what we are talking about are engines from at most 40 years old.
There is proven data about the effects of the so called new and improved oils on engines built with different requirements. And as far as changing oil frequently, this is also miss leading. Just ask black stone about oil analysis and what realy matters about oil life and change cycles.
80 year old diesel, I said it hadn’t had the oil it was designed for in 60 years....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Also, the Ford spec being mentioned that only certain oils meet, is specific to the 6.7. The new spec is for oils in the 6.7PSD

Right, but supposedly ford came back and said ck4 for all diesels. Many have said it, I just haven't found any documentation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the other concerns?

This thread is two pages long already and the two posters that are concerned about the newer oils still haven't said what they are concerned about. We already dismissed the lack if zinc as being a problem.

There are "general concerns" and I "have read about" things that are lacking in the newer oils. What are these things exactly, we can debate them one by one. Let's get down to the nitty gritty, if you are worried about the newer oils because someone else was "worried" about the newer oils, that is not a good enough reason to be worried about it.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, quick little bit of research. The problem, says ford, is the percentage of phosphorus in the oil. Before, it was "up to" 1200ppm. Now, a 5W30 oil or any other w30 oil is limited to 800PPM... IF they want to label it with the gasoline SN rating!
Ford has issues with anything less than 1000PPM in the 6.7 PSD.

If the oil maker *just* wants the CK-4, it can have the same 1200 PPM.

This also doesn't apply to 5W40 or other w40 oils - the limit is 1200PPM for the gasoline SN rating on that weight.

That being said, all these ratings are *upper* limits. Companies can have been using a lower number for years, if they wanted to.

Either way, 15W40 should be just fine in any case... and it's not like IDIs strain the capacity of the oil much, except for filling it with soot...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01