Zf6?!

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
If You look closly at the gear ratios of the 5/6 there is really no difference between 2-5/6

The thing you would gain by going with the ZF6 is a slighty lower 1/2, the rest is the same.

You'd be better off with a GV.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have thought that I would like to do the ZF-6 swap someday. Along with it going to 3.55 gears. My current situation is the ZF-5 with 4.10 gears. The way I see it, there is not much advantage in my situation if I should only do the ZF-6. With the 6 and 4.10's I don't gain any more OD, which is the biggest problem with my gearing now. I have excessive RPM at highway speed, limited top speed, and reduced fuel economy. If I leave the 5 and go to 3:55's I will be sacrificing towing ability. The way I look at the difference between the ZF-5 and ZF-6 is that the gears (the way they are labeled on the shift knob) there is an extra gear between L and 4(DD = 1:1) in the ZF-6 compared to the gears between 1 and 4(DD = 1:1) in the ZF-5. In both the top 2 gears are pretty much the same DD and OD. In the ZF-6 the gaps in the ratios are closer from L-1-2-3-4 than in the ZF-5's 1-2-3-4. The way I look at it there is an extra gear in the middle to close the gap. I think it makes the ZF-6 more suited for towing while allowing one to still have a rear diff. ratio suitable for highway cruising. In this way I think you could have a well rounded gearing combo to achieve good towing capability, fuel economy (empty/loaded), better cruising RPM, and max top speed. I plan on doing it with a 3.55 gear swap also.
FWIW, I went and looked it up...here are the gear ratios for the S5-42 and for the S6-650:

S5-42: 1 - 4.14 2 - 2.37 3 - 1.42 4 - 1.00 5 - 0.77 R - 3.79​

S6-650: L - 5.79 1 - 3.31 2 - 2.10 3 - 1.31 4 - 1.00 5 - 0.72 R - 5.23

I hope that came out properly; trying to put the equivalent gears on the two transmissions right above one another. In any event...it seems to me that 2nd and 3rd are pretty close between the two. First is much higher on the ZF6; OTOH that's what the granny gear's for. I didn't realize that the 6 had a taller OD gear. The lower reverse on the ZF6 would be a nice thing.

BTW, one other factor to keep in mind...if you have a 4x4, IIRC the transfer case mount is considerably different and the SuperDuty transfer case drops on the opposite side. If you could find a ZF6 adapter for a U.S. Gear unit (IIRC they do exist, and then you'd have 12 forward gears ;Sweet but, especially after U.S. Gear withdrew all support, they're probably more rare than hens' teeth), you could use that as an intermediary...

I really don't know...anything is possible with enough engineering and $$ thrown at it, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think that a ZF6 would be a sweet addition (especially with an OD unit hung behind it)....but, even without taking into consideration how much money would be spent purchasing the transmission itself, I can see this going up on the wrong side of $2K in adapters and customization right quick, especially on a 4x4. Given that it doesn't seem to me that you're really gaining that much, it seems to me that that money could be better-spent elsewhere on the truck. :dunno

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SD transfer case has the front drive shaft on the driver side same as our IDI trucks.
I stand corrected, but I'm pretty sure that there's a reason that we can't simply throw an SD transfer case under one of our trucks and have it work straight out of the box...if someone's going to do it, I would strongly recommend looking into it more closely.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
built zf5? how much can you build one of these trasmission to hold more power besides just a normal rebuild? what parts in particular can you upgrade to handel more power?

just asking because i have 250k on mine, and looking at repower for the truck with some more torque rating and looking at adding an zf6.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I have a ZF s5-47 out of a 1997 F-superduty with a PSD engine. I can't imagine a lower first gear would be of any use to anyone. If I put the truck in first gear, and let it idle, it's going about walking speed. If I slip into 4 low and first gear, you wan outwalk the truck to the other side of the walmart parking lot, drink a coffee and walk half way back towards the truck to meet it. It's like a farm tractor.

Maybe that's what International had in mind anyways? A tractor capable of going 55MPH?

My ZF S5-47 gear ratios.

1st Gear:5.72

2nd Gear:2.94

3rd Gear:1.61

4th Gear:1.00

5th Gear:0.76

Rev Gear:5.24

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are right good reference, but I am still confused. on their rebuild kit they list some bronze synchro rings? what comes stock, and much better do they perform?

also list different input shafts. are some stronger then others, and has anybody done a upgrade build to their zf?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Wow. Seeing the differences between an S5-42 and an S5-47 I am GLAD I got an S5-47 wide ratio. The reverse gear is lower, as well as the first gear.

No wonder everyone though I was nuts when I said my first gear was useless. The S5-42 is geared more or less like a Honda Civic so to speak.

Makes me realize what extra leverage I had on that loaded 18 wheeler when I had to pull start it last year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online