Zf5

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it's been brought up a lot... But all the threads I have found the part numbers are old now... So I'm thinking about swapping a zf5 into my idi... I am just curious what clutch and flywheel I will need... And part numbers too if you can I currently have a 6.9 with a t19 trans thank you in advance for any help that will be provided
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Plenty of help is here because so many members have done this. Once you have an idea of the parts needed most any pick a parts will have a ZF idi in them.. Even if you find a truck with the ZF missing you still have most of the parts already removed from the truck. Even the driveshaft will be laying there. About all I can think of is the trans support and flywheel clutch setup thats needed. Maybe the tunnel cover where the shift lever comes thru the floor.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually believe it or not when I got the truck it came with the zf and the crossmember and the front driveshaft... Only thing I'm missing is the clutch and flywheel and I need the part numbers for them and then I should have everything for the swap to be quick and easy

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I just used the dual mass elimination kit by Luk that I got from Car Quest. I've had good luck with it.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have parts numbers?... I was told smf is the way to go as there will be less problems than a dmf... I just don't know what company or size or anything... Thank you so much for all the help so far guys

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Just did some hunting around, and I am pretty sure NU31411LFW is the P/N for the kit 1turbo10 got. I think he payed like a hundred less than that, but even now it's still not a bad price.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wyreth... Do you know if that's a dmf or dmf set?... I have never done a transmission swap but am thinking about starting it in the first week or so of April... From what I'm reading it shouldn't take longer than a weekend hopefully

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never mind just looked it up and it's a smf... Will this create a lot of rollover noise or is this the right set up that it won't rattle and vibrate?

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it ridiculously loud as everyone is saying or is it slight but noticeable? And is there anything I should look for in the transmission itself before I put it in?

1Turbo10

Reaction score
Duralast/Clutch Set
Part Number: NU31411LFW
Total cost 269+ tax...U can not beat it! Turned out to be a 12.25 clutch disc with 10 springs!! Should take care of the rool over problem! disc and presure plate are stamped FW,I'll bet forth worth clutch is the vender?? Flywheel is stamped B-76 I think,if my memory is good.
Hope this helps! Keep in mind that price is online only with discount code...Must also be shipped! Free but u can't pick it up at the store.

Last edited:

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now I have the part numbers... What should I look for before I put the zf under my truck so I don't run into any surprises when I get it all installed and ready to go and find something wrong that I should've fixed before I put it in

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And 1turbo do you know a coupon code so I can order it?

Please don't be surprised when the Autozone clutch you are about to order in fact does have rollover noise, or when it fails in a year and a half due to weak steel in the hub.

The clutch disc I just junked had all kinds of springs in it but had a poorly designed hub for these engines. When I took it out, I could move the inner hub almost an eighth inch on the disc. This translated to being junk for smooth accel. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a good brand for this conversion. the R&R took me 8 hrs. I know I don't want to do it again anytime soon.

the above is STRICTLY friendly advice. Do with it as you will.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726