ZF5 Throw Out Bearing SIZE

1983idi

Reaction score
A couple years back I converted my 83 IDI from a c6 to a ZF5 I used the transmission from a 1989.

Ended up having to replace the dual mass flywheel and being a cheap ass went with the single mass flywheel conversion kit from LUK. It has worked very well so far and I have no complaints (For anyone wondering about the gear roll over noise it's not bad at all and only does it when idling in 1st or 2nd)

Now to my question. The conversion kit came with a throw out bearing which was too large. When I went to slide it over the sleeve that it is supposed to slide along it was too big and flopped around. So since my old one seemed fine I just re-installed that one. Now it's making noise 2 years later and I need to replace it. Rockauto lists the sizes of the bearings and when I measured the one I got with the kit it measure the same as these ones that they list so does anyone know of the transmissions coming with smaller ID throwout bearings? I have searched a bunch but come up empty.

Thanks for any help guys

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That's a strange one for sure. From what I can remember, the ZF5s all took the same size of throw out bearings. I believe that the four speed transmissions had a different sized (smaller?) throw out bearing.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the 83 use a external slave cyl compared to the later using an internal one. complete different throwout bearing system and size.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only the gas models use the internal setup.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Your are right , forgot when I did my 93 years ago had to buy a new clutch fork. The problem when get older and don't work on them all the time anymore.

1983idi

Reaction score
Well maybe I am just an "IDI"ot ... HAHA I'm probably the only one that thinks that is funny but when I get the tranny pulled I'll recheck everything and post some photos/measurments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online