zf5 teardown questions

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I broke the 3rd 4th gear shift fork I pulled the trans out and I'm about to pull it apart my question is should I turn it up on the bell housing and pull it apart? Or set it on the tail housing and pull it apart? I've been told both ways and just don't want to make a big mistake

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may help you. Had a complete tear down manual on how to do it, but can't find it now. Will post later if I find it. If you have an engine stand, see if you can mount it on there, seem to remember it showed it in the manual to do it something like that. That way you can roll it up or down.

http://www.mackstrans.com/ZFID.html

Last edited:

kawamatt

Reaction score
This should be common knowledge for the collective. Manuals are located here.

Ford parts cross reference located here.

S5-47 spare parts located here.

S5-47 exploded diagram here.

Also, for some real world teardown pictures of an S5-47, check out this set of pictures.

kawamatt

Reaction score
Ha! Check the join date. I read and don't post until I've got something worthwhile to say.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This should be common knowledge for the collective. Manuals are located here.

Ford parts cross reference located here.

S5-47 spare parts located here.

S5-47 exploded diagram here.

Also, for some real world teardown pictures of an S5-47, check out this set of pictures.
Very Nicely photo documented.

Perhaps you could do a full write up on rebuild of ZF for the Tech section hint hint...nudge nudge....wink wink...;Poke that would be really helpfull. I am thinking about a rebuild...but now not sure that's something I wanna tackle!

Was going to swap the 460 guts into a diesel case and rebuild as I go, just not sure I wanna go do that...hmmmmm....

Now have you re assembled that transmission and if so did you photo document it?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Perhaps you could do a full write up on rebuild of ZF for the Tech section hint hint...nudge nudge....wink wink...;Poke that would be really helpfull.

I'll second that!

kawamatt

Reaction score

Perhaps you could do a full write up on rebuild of ZF for the Tech section hint hint...nudge nudge....wink wink...;Poke that would be really helpfull. I am thinking about a rebuild...but now not sure that's something I wanna tackle!

Was going to swap the 460 guts into a diesel case and rebuild as I go, just not sure I wanna go do that...hmmmmm....

Now have you re assembled that transmission and if so did you photo document it?

Hey Thanks! I have gleaned alot of info about the ZF5 searching around this site. Its only right to give back a bit.

I have not gone any further than the pictures document. I have it all torn down sitting on the bench but am stalling ordering the rebuild kit and bearings to let the piggy bank recover from some other bills this month. I'll definitely post up the re-assembly pictures. I think I've got the hardest part licked. All the bearings, races, syncro bodies can be reinstalled using either the oven or freezer. Just like legos at this point. I'm a bit worried about the main tapered case bearing preload. Its pretty unlikely that my current shims will work for new bearings and I haven't been able to source replacement shims (without buying a whole "kit" for ~$300).

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I dunno if you have a transtar near you. But I paid 210 for their complete rebuilt kit w/synchos. Paid my tranny guy 100 bucks to throw it all together after i plucked it.

dancrowley

danc01
Reaction score
ZF 5 speed rebuild

Hey Thanks! I have gleaned alot of info about the ZF5 searching around this site. Its only right to give back a bit.

I have not gone any further than the pictures document. I have it all torn down sitting on the bench but am stalling ordering the rebuild kit and bearings to let the piggy bank recover from some other bills this month. I'll definitely post up the re-assembly pictures. I think I've got the hardest part licked. All the bearings, races, syncro bodies can be reinstalled using either the oven or freezer. Just like legos at this point. I'm a bit worried about the main tapered case bearing preload. Its pretty unlikely that my current shims will work for new bearings and I haven't been able to source replacement shims (without buying a whole "kit" for ~$300).

Hi All, I got my ZF 5-42 all apart and am getting ready to reassemble it. I bought all the parts that I needed from Zumbrota Bearing and Gear and they were genuine ZF parts. I plan on taking pictures as I go along and will try to post them. I bought a whole pack of shims so I might have some left over. I think i paid like $99.00 for a bag of them. I didn't want to use any after market parts so I ended up paying big time for the real thing. Dan cookoocookoo

kawamatt

Reaction score
I dunno if you have a transtar near you. But I paid 210 for their complete rebuilt kit w/synchos. Paid my tranny guy 100 bucks to throw it all together after i plucked it.

Good info, thanks! I have been looking at these ebay kits. There is either this kit or this kit. One is cheaper than the other but its hard to know which might have better quality components. The money's not really the issue. Like I mention in the captions of teardown pictures, this thing needs to outlast the truck once installed. Also going to spring for all new gear roller bearings.

Hi All, I got my ZF 5-42 all apart and am getting ready to reassemble it. I bought all the parts that I needed from Zumbrota Bearing and Gear and they were genuine ZF parts. I plan on taking pictures as I go along and will try to post them. I bought a whole pack of shims so I might have some left over. I think i paid like $99.00 for a bag of them. I didn't want to use any after market parts so I ended up paying big time for the real thing. Dan cookoocookoo

Interesting! I searched the ZF part number for the "shim kit" (you can't just buy one) and I was seeing very high prices. Even so, $100 is still a bit high when you will only be using 2 shims from the kit. Maybe a dedicated trans shop could sell individual.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726