ZF5 Swap this weekend! Just have a few questions first!!

94IDIT

Reaction score
So latley my '90 IDI died and I was able to score a CHERRY 86 6.9 4x4 with a t-19;Sweet(Pics will be posted when I can). I plan on swapping out the ZF from my old truck and putting it in the new one. From what I've been told, and according to a metal tag in the glovebox, the '90 was fitted with a LUK SMF and clutch kit by the PO, I'm not entirely sure though. I plan on putting a new clutch in while I do this swap and what I was wondering is, after I put the SMF from the 7.3 on the 6.9 can I just buy a "regular" clutch kit from NAPA for any 7.3 ZF truck and bolt it all together with no problems?? Or will I have to buy a specific clutch to work with my flywheel?? I sure hope not:rolleyes: Also is the clutch pedal assy the same? and lastly, I plan on using the slave cylinder from my 7.3 truck since the one on the 6.9 is leaking. Will that just bolt right in no problem? Thanks in advance for any replies!

oleblue85

Reaction score
I plan on doing the same-swapping in one as well. I believe if you want a new clutch you need to get the luk smf clutch kit that bolts to the existing flywheel off your 90. I have a 1985 4x4 6.9 with a t19 that will be receiving the zf 5 shortly. I will be using the dmf off the donor truck for mine. There is a way to make the smf off the 6.9 work with a hybrid clutch but the parts seem to be discontinued as autozone was the only one that carried the correct flywheel for a 6.9 zf 5 hybrid clutch.

I believe the clutch pedal assembly is different but the slave should be the same.

I saw you have a ats factory turbo parts truck. Do you happen to have or are willing to sell the oil return/pedestal and intake hat? I need those parts to finish mine!