zf5 swap from t19

6.9idi_sam

Reaction score
I want to put a zf5 in my 6.9 . what does it take to do the swap? can I use the t19 transfer case? mostly doing it because I do a lot of high way driving and want to keep the motor revs down at 55 mph.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did this swap in 2005, and I contend that it's the single best modification I ever did to my truck ;Sweet

Yes, you can reuse the BW 13-45 transfer case that's currently behind the T-19, and you can also reuse all of the transfer case shift lever linkage. The 4x4 T-19 and ZF are the same length, so no driveshaft modifications. The clutch hydraulics are all the same.

What you will need:
1) A ZF5 transmission ;Really
2) A floor pan insert; you will need to cut a hole for the transfer case shift lever.
3) A ZF clutch kit and flywheel, with throwout bearing and clutch fork. I've had good luck with a LuK single-mass flywheel with a Kevlar pilot bushing over about 55K miles; others prefer to go with a stock-style dual-mass flywheel.

I replaced my transmission crossmember, although IIRC others were able to reuse the T-19 crossmember. If you're not in a hurry, I'd say try to reuse your crossmember but be prepared to replace it if necessary; if you need to get this done quickly, I would have a crossmember handy.

Comparison between the thickness of the T-19 and the ZF flywheels:
You must be registered for see images attach

Crossmember I used with the ZF5 on the left; T-19 crossmember on the right. I was later told that the "ZF" crossmember was actually meant for an E4DOA, but it's been working well so far. Some drilling required.

Differences between the floor pan insert from the T-19 (top) with the ZF5 insert:

The T-19 floor pan insert sitting on the ZF5. The pan contacts the back of the transmission with about 3/4" to spare before the lip is flush with the floor pan. You MIGHT be able to beat the T-19 floor pan insert to make it work, but I figured that would be a hack job:

The pilot bearing in the T-19 flywheel. I include this to show you why I'm recommending the Kevlar pilot bushing instead:

And, last but not least, a comparison between the Kevlar pilot bushing and the pilot bearing that would have gone in the ZF:

Hope this helps some...good luck! ;Sweet And, absolutely yes, that 5th gear is a godsend if you do a lot of freeway driving!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim is da man! ;Sweet

but...
i used my T-19 floor pan, and everything worked without hacking it.
mine is an 87,
i also used the stock cross member.

Sam, it would be helpfull if we knew the year truck you were working on.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i used my T-19 floor pan, and everything worked without hacking it.
mine is an 87,
i also used the stock cross member.

Sam, it would be helpfull if we knew the year truck you were working on.
Going by Sam's profile pic, I'm guessing he has a slant-nose, but knowing for sure would be a good idea.

And, does your T-19 pan look like mine? I'm wondering if maybe they were using the ZF style pan in '87 even with the T-19? Either that or your '87 has a body lift...I don't see any way the early T-19 pan could have bolted in. The early T-19 pan angles down steeply just behind the shift tower, but the ZF is almost level with the shift tower all the way to the back of the main box. I actually wanted to use the T-19 pan, but fortunately I had a ZF pan available, because that T-19 pan was NOT going on the ZF without "modifications" :smash: :backoff LOL

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going by Sam's profile pic, I'm guessing he has a slant-nose, but knowing for sure would be a good idea.

And, does your T-19 pan look like mine? I'm wondering if maybe they were using the ZF style pan in '87 even with the T-19? Either that or your '87 has a body lift...I don't see any way the early T-19 pan could have bolted in. The early T-19 pan angles down steeply just behind the shift tower, but the ZF is almost level with the shift tower all the way to the back of the main box. I actually wanted to use the T-19 pan, but fortunately I had a ZF pan available, because that T-19 pan was NOT going on the ZF without "modifications" :smash: :backoff LOL

yes sir, the T-19 pan looks exactly like yours.
no suspension lift or body lift.
ive done this on both my 87, which had the 87 style.
and the 89 DRW project
both with dual holes for shifter and transfer select.
both with ZF5's
now im curious to know the difference.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to keep an eye on this, since I plan on picking up a 460 ZF5 to put in my truck. One thing I just learned is no matter what, I'll need a flywheel. Oh well, SMF conversion kit isn't too bad. Was hoping I could use my flywheel with the ZF clutch kit.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ In case you don't already know this, you're also going to need to re-drill the case on that 460-mated ZF5 to mate it to an IH diesel.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, want the wide ratios of the 460 one, and know that it needs to be drilled.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the 13-45 shift boot doesn't fit quite right - reason is that the pivot to floor pan distance is larger with the ZF pan, so the lever moves back and forth further that the pan level and the boot doesn't bend right. Minor issue though.

I've had good luck with the regular needle type pilot bearing, but no opinion on the kevlar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online