Zf5 4x4 swap on 88 C6 4X4

Josh king

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Sorry to be starting a new thread in this subject but I'm not the best navigator on here lol I recently aquired a fairly rare bird that I'm working on. 88 F350 CC dually 4X4 with the 7.3 138,000 original miles and a C6 trans. Love this beast!! Hate the C6...I also acquired a 92 7.3 rolling chassis with the 4X4 ZF5. So that being said I'm fixing to do the swap this weekend. I have everything I need except for a bit of advice. Should I use the 88 tcase since it works perfectly and all the shifter mounts are there or the 92?? I haven't had the time to put them side by side yet but seems the shifter parts are different. The donor shifter is MIA. Original owner pulled the cab and bed off for junk...apparently with tcase shifter...any and all advise would be greatly appreciated and again sorry for doing a new post...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Will the OBS (92) transfer case have the ability to run the speedometer? The brick (88) will have a cable driven speedometer from the transmission (2wd) or transfer case (4x4). The OBS will use the VSS on the rear differential.

May have to use the 88 transfer case, the 92 might not be an option.

Josh king

Reaction score
I was looking at that today while pilfering around at work. I don't believe the 92 does...gonna take a look this evening when I get home to make sure. I'm 90% sure I'll have to use the brick but that's OK because I know that everything is OK with it

Josh king

Reaction score
Well yall it is done!:peeloutZf swap is complete! Everything went very smooth. Used C6 crossmember, driveshafts, etc. Got around 10-12 hours off and on in it. Used the brick transfer case also. I'm super happy! Now if anyone needs a C6 or a BW1356 transfer case I've got em both! Gonna post them online tonight. $200 each, lines, flywheel, everything must go lol:Thumbs Up

Last edited: