ZF S5-42 Creeping in Neutral, Hard in Reverse?

chandlerbingco

Reaction score
Ok everybody - I removed the ZF 542 tranny from my 1989 F250 over the winter and rebuilt it at the same time I rebuilt the engine. Engine turned out great and runs strong, but the transmission is having some problems I can't explain.

To do the rebuild, I followed the ZF factory service manual to a 't', including setting bearing preload, etc. I checked the orientation and order of parts on the main shaft as it was assembled, replaced all bearings and seals, replaced all synchro rings, and replaced reverse gear since the synchro collar teeth on the original were pretty well chewed up. Otherwise, the gears, synchro sliding collars, hubs, etc. are stock and were in good condition when I inspected at the time of rebuild. When the case was reassembled after setting bearing preload, it seemed to shift through all gears just fine on the bench and there were no engagement problems with reverse - I spun the input shaft by hand in each gear to make sure everything worked as expected. It did.

Now, the transmission is back on the truck and I'm having two noticeable problems I didn't have before the rebuild.

First, the transmission is sometimes seems difficult to get into reverse. Occasionally it will work fine and engagement is smooth and the truck immediately begins to move as soon as the clutch pedal is let out, just like you'd expect. However, about half the time the truck suddenly stops moving while backing up and requires significantly more pedal and letting the clutch pedal out even further, as if it's being forced to move in reverse. This occasionally happens when starting in reverse and also happens sometimes when the vehicle is already moving in reverse. I don't notice any unusual noises when this happens. No clunking, whining, or anything. I do, however, notice a burning smell if I have to force the vehicle in reverse more than a few seconds. I haven't found the source of the smell, but I'm guessing it could be either clutch or brakes. (The clutch was replaced with a Southbend SMF last year before the tranny rebuild and worked great.) It's possible this is a brake problem where they are occasionally engaging in reverse for some reason, but that wouldn't explain the second problem below.

Second, the transmission occasionally seems to engage when in neutral and will slowly creep forward as if it were an automatic and you took your foot off the brake. The degree of creep seems to change as well, too - sometimes it will do nothing, sometimes it will engage slightly, and once in a while it will seem to engage quite a bit and feels as if it might stall if I let the clutch pedal out in neutral with my other foot on the brakes.

I took the tranny off, stripped it down, and rebuilt it a second time with the ZF manual just to be sure I hadn't missed something. Same exact problems when reinstalled the second time.

I should also mention that I replaced the entire clutch hydraulic system at the same time. New master and slave cylinders and replaced the clutch pedal linkage with the heim joint fix. Clutch engagement seems to be working very well and shifting is smooth for gears 1-5 when moving forward. The problem is in neutral and reverse.

What the hell is going on? Anybody else have this problem?

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Sounds like your clutch isn't totally disengaging. Don't know a thing about these standard transmissions but could your hydraulics need bleeding for the clutch disengagement?

jim

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you are having some kind of clutch issue. Since this is an 89, the Brick and Slantnose trucks did have an issue with the firewall cracking, causing the clutch to not engage/disengage properly. When you had it apart, did you put in the reinforcement plate? Since you didn't mention it, I doubt you did. To check, have someone sit in the cab and press the clutch pedal. You need to be out, under the hood looking at the firewall where the clutch master connects. (In the same area as the master cylinder/brake booster is mounted) If the firewall is flexing while depressing the clutch, there is your issue. If it is flexing, the master/slave does not get full travel and will not disengage properly, and can make it hard to shift into gear. If it works fine at times, the issue may have just started, and it does not flex all the time. My best WAG is a firewall issue, not a clutch/hydraulic/transmission issue. This could also cause the slipping issue in reverse, and the smell you have. When you really have to give it throttle to make it move, the clutch is probably slipping which creates a lot of heat and a hot clutch really stinks, just like hot brakes.

If you have firewall flex, you can get the fix from Jason (freebird01) here on the board. Or visit his website: http://www.terrapinmfg.com/display.php?prod=14 to purchase the plate. This part is NLA from Ford (has been for along time). It is a high quality part and Jason has sold several. All the members who have purchased and used one come back with rave reviews on the product. It is well worth it.

chandlerbingco

Reaction score
The truck had the small firewall flex plate installed when I bought it a couple of years ago. Considering that the linkage bushing was completely gone and the eye on the original master cylinder pushrod was well worn, I'm guessing the flex plate was done by Ford rather than a PO. There aren't any cracks in the firewall that I have seen and no flex.

I bench bled the slave several times and then bled the hell out of the whole master/slave system after it was reinstalled on the truck. I get good travel on the clutch arm.

I thought that hydraulic/disengagement problems typically caused issues getting the transmission into all gears rather than just one (I had this problem early on when I had air in the line - couldn't shift from neutral into any gears with the engine running). I get good shifts into 1-5 (and 5 and reverse share a slider collar and hub) and sometimes things will start off fine in reverse, I will be happily backing up, and suddenly it feels like the tranny is being forced. It is more difficult to push the shifter stick from R to neutral when this happens.

How would a disengagement issue cause creeping in neutral if the shifter stick is definitely in the neutral position? Maybe I just don't understand how the shifting works.

Also, the replacement master cylinder didn't have an electrical connector port so the connector wires are just hanging there. I figured this was a clutch in/out sensor for starting or something, but could that be causing this problem somehow? I also noticed that the dash "Rear Antilock" light is on since this has started, but not sure if that is somehow connected to this mess.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how a clutch problem would cause your creeping either. When u rebuilt mine it wouldn't go in reverse easy. If I was rolling backwards it wouldn't go in unless I came to a stop. After a couple weeks it loosened up and works ok now. Maybe if you put a few miles on it it will break in.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What oil are you utiilizing in the trans?

Also look under the dash up at pedal assembly, press clutch by hand watch cross shaft and see if it's moving about, canting sideways at an angle this can cause hard shifting due to worn pedal bushings in the main aluminum casting.

I don't see how a trans in N can slip into gear and start creeping, the only way I see creeping is too thick of oil causing gears to turn, and that's just not likely going to happen

Let us know if your firewall flexes at all, as mentioned that can be a cause of issues too.

chandlerbingco

Reaction score
Oil being used is Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. Did the same thing on Valvoline ATF.

I will double check for firewall flex and report back. I do recall feeling some limited movement in the brake pedal when the clutch pedal is pressed, so I guess that could be something.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the gearset is shimmed too tight.
This is for sure not a clutch issue.
What was your final bearing clearance setting?

chandlerbingco

Reaction score
I don't recall the exact number, but it was within the preload spec called for in the ZF manual. The stock shims wound up being the right thickness so I reused them.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought...but, with the creeping forward issue, what shape is the pilot bearing in the flywheel in? Is there any chance there might be some sticking there?

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like one of the forward gear synchros is sticking to the cone on the gear. The drag would cause the rolling forward and the hard to get in reverse. Would also explain why it feels like brakes dragging sometimes in reverse. You are trying to counteract the forward pull from the synchro dragging.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ this or the pocket bearing in the input shaft where the mainshaft nose goes in. If its hanging up for some reason it'll basically be trying to move forward in direct (4th) and wont allow the mainshaft to rotate the opposite direction from the input shaft to move in reverse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7