ZF Parts Interchangeability

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a diesel ZF that is 2wd and a 460 ZF that is 4x4. I like the splits in the gasser trans better than the diesel. I know you can swap the tail shafts between 4x4 and 2wd. I want to know if I can swap the gasser internals for the diesel internals?

Thanks for any help.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are gasser trans better? I know someone that we painted his 70's ford cc with a 4bt an a f150 351 5 speed an he said the trans made a world of difference. He is actually in diesel power mag names David lockner. Btw that trucks sweet an it moves he live a few blocks from my work he just twin turbos on it. Anyways differences? Gear ratio?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reverse is lower too, which is really nice backing up a trailer/camper.

Honestly, it would be easier to just do the "typ4 mods" to the 460 ZF5 than to swap the guts. Got a 460 ZF5 in my F350 crew cab and it works great!

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As Heath pointed out above. Just drill the 460 trans case to fit the diesel. Heath did a great step by step of how to drill by using the adapter plate thats bolted to the back of our idi block. A mag base drill and an end mill so it drills straight thru the aluminum housing easily. I think Russ typ4 was the first member to build a 460 trans to fit our idi engines.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I can drill out the 460 case with they typ4 mod. My rational for swapping internals and tail shaft housing would be that I wouldn't have to drill the case and be able to run a mated transfer case.

kaleb614

Reaction score
its much easier to just exchange cases!! I accidentally discovered that!! If you google how to rebuild zf5 you come across a write up with lots of pics on how to do it, follow it as far as removing the case, and then just switch cases, as long as you have 2 transmissions or 2 cases that start with the same number its doable, I would be reluctant to drill the gas zf to fit the diesel engine I would not feel safe, by switching cases you keep the integrity a strength of the original case, I'm looking into more interchangeability parts, like the input shaft from a newer zf6 which is an 1/8 of an inch wider, and apparently keeps it from breaking,like the old zf5 will post the results.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bud this is what you need to do:

Take front case off dsl zf
Take front case off gasser zf.

Gear clusters are the same.

Swap dsl front case half onto gasser rear case half.

The rear case halves hold the gears in place. The front is merely a protective shell.

Once you swap front case halves you're good.

I run a dsl zf front half on gasser gears and gasser 4x4 rear case half.

I absolutely love lower first and lower reverse

Make sure to check the preload after you assemble the case hAlves

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a diesel ZF that is 2wd and a 460 ZF that is 4x4. I like the splits in the gasser trans better than the diesel. I know you can swap the tail shafts between 4x4 and 2wd. I want to know if I can swap the gasser internals for the diesel internals?

Thanks for any help.
4wd and 2wd ZF tails are different animals.
one. 4wd uses a slip-yoke due to the transfer case.
two. 2wd uses a bolt-on output yoke. at minimum, you will have to cut off the threaded part of the output shaft and there's no telling if the diameter of the shafts are the same or not without measuring and counting the splines.
the total length of the output shafts is noticeably different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online