• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell truck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be too late for it, but you can try it, it doesn't take a lot of fluid. All the transfer cases through these years used Dexron auto transmission fluid.

Skinny Lennie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked, Marion is not too far from you and there is a place there that has a lot of them used for sale. The f150 transfer cases will fit and are the same as the f250 and f350 cases.
They want $250 for one.
http://www.bandhusedautoparts.com/
Yes sir I also found 3 here in Asheville for $250. Is it a hard process to remove and replace the transfer case?

Skinny Lennie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And why would a transfer case have a PTO option? My transmission has pto covers but don’t know about the t-case

smithman

Reaction score
The 350s had a PTO on the TC front case half.
You can easily open up a case when you get it out. Drain, take off the tail housing and take the rear case off and all the guts will still be in place. I think you need to pull a snap ring off the output shaft to get the rear case off.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And why would a transfer case have a PTO option? My transmission has pto covers but don’t know about the t-case

I would assume a pto capable transfer case would be useful for a truck that has a automatic. Most automatics don't have pto capability, so you will see most of those with a electric over hydraulic setup for dump beds and such. But you could run a conventional hydraulic pump off a pto driven by the transfer case if it had one. It would take a little thinking to make it operate though. You would have to put the transfer case in neutral and put the transmission in drive to make it operate.

The transfer case is not technically difficult to change. It is heavy though, a floor jack on a piece of plywood would work to get it out, or a couple of strong friends would help. You will have to;

Take the front driveshaft out and the rear driveshaft out

Pop the transfer case shifter rod loose.

Eyeball the rear mount. I can't remember if the part of the transfer case that comes out has the rear mount or not. If it does, you need to support the transmission while you have the other part out.

Take the speedo cable out and any wiring. You have a later model so you probably don't have a speedo cable but double check around it and unhook any cables or wires.

Take the bolts out and slide it out.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
The be 1356 I have with the zf tranny the mount is still on the transmission tail housing
You must be registered for see images attach

So just as franklin2 said, remove driveshafts, remove linkage, remove speedo cable/plug, remove bolts, pull t case. But it does weigh a bit so a heavy armed friend or two is great to have wen your under there without much room to work with.

Skinny Lennie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume a pto capable transfer case would be useful for a truck that has a automatic. Most automatics don't have pto capability, so you will see most of those with a electric over hydraulic setup for dump beds and such. But you could run a conventional hydraulic pump off a pto driven by the transfer case if it had one. It would take a little thinking to make it operate though. You would have to put the transfer case in neutral and put the transmission in drive to make it operate.

The transfer case is not technically difficult to change. It is heavy though, a floor jack on a piece of plywood would work to get it out, or a couple of strong friends would help. You will have to;

Take the front driveshaft out and the rear driveshaft out

Pop the transfer case shifter rod loose.

Eyeball the rear mount. I can't remember if the part of the transfer case that comes out has the rear mount or not. If it does, you need to support the transmission while you have the other part out.

Take the speedo cable out and any wiring. You have a later model so you probably don't have a speedo cable but double check around it and unhook any cables or wires.

Take the bolts out and slide it out.
Thanks for all the info! I’ll get on this when I recover from the holidays

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Too bad all u guys aren't down here. I find the bw 1356 left and right out here in working condition for 50-125 bucks all day long. Alot of these guys go 2 wd and slam their trucks and have no use for them. I don't like the look or lack of use for intended purpose, but not my truck so who cares. But better opportunities for me to always have a good one and a few spares .Lol. Best part is, none of my trucks are 4wd yet..... Just found the d60 Iv been wanting so that should be coming soon

Skinny Lennie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad all u guys aren't down here. I find the bw 1356 left and right out here in working condition for 50-125 bucks all day long. Alot of these guys go 2 wd and slam their trucks and have no use for them. I don't like the look or lack of use for intended purpose, but not my truck so who cares. But better opportunities for me to always have a good one and a few spares .Lol. Best part is, none of my trucks are 4wd yet..... Just found the d60 Iv been wanting so that should be coming soon
I’ve found around 10 in my area for $250

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You will really like the low range in the transfer case when you get it all converted over. The zf reverse is too fast, making it very easy to smoke the clutch while trying to back a loaded trailer up. Putting the transfer case in low range, and just leaving the hubs unlocked cures that problem.

Skinny Lennie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep it was the transfer case! I replaced it over the weekend and today I drove it and everything worked like a well oiled machine! Thank you to everyone that responded to my thread! Now I’m gonna fix the parking brake cable and look into some gauges!

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The zf reverse is too fast, making it very easy to smoke the clutch while trying to back a loaded trailer up. .

This is why in my 93 dually I had to rebuild the transmission to a wide ratio. was always slipping the clutch in low and reverse when loaded heavy. Now just let the clutch out and it goes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online