ZF 5 questions

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Okay, here we go, I've got a 2wd ZF5 in the truck now. I just found out that The transfer case I want to run in my project (see link in sig) will bolt right up to a 4x4 ZF5. My questions start with; What are the differences between a 2wd and 4wd ZF5? Is it just a matter of swapping a tailshaft housing, or do I need to find a 4x4 tranny?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really need to find a 4x4 tranny. The tailshaft won't come out without completely disassembling the tranny, and IIRC there are other issues that stand in the way even if you go through a rebuild. I actually thought about buying a 2WD tranny that was in pieces and rebuilding it as a 4x4 unit, but was successfully talked out of it.

The bad news is, 4x4 trannies aren't as common and are generally more expensive...I got lucky in acquiring mine. You probably already know this, but you NEED to find a diesel tranny. The big block g@$$er tranny's bellhousing bolt pattern is just different enough that it won't work.

Good luck!!

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Well, I still have the option of using a Divorced Xfer case, It's just that if an NP203 is a direct bolt in, Then that's the way I want to go.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't blame you there...seems to me that a divorced transfer case means more parts to break (at least a somewhat more complicated shifting mechanism, unless the lever's mounted too far back, and an extra driveshaft and whatnot to deal with).

It's certainly worth looking around...you may come across a junkyard that doesn't know what they have, or something on those lines :)

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
In our pull trucks we used T-18 out of 2x and made shortshafts to a divorced 205. As long as the trans and t-case are monted on the same plane and they move integrally you will be ok. Our jeep made 600 hp and I never had a problem with the mount. Its pretty simple. Obviously the way to go is a 4x trans but if not available you can make the other work. I have a shop full of trophys and we made most of our own parts. The big boys hated us because we made due with what we had. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.