Zerex coolant question (1990 f250 7.3 4x4)

BEACHTRVLR

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I haven't posted in a while - last time i asked about whether I ought to buy my neighbor's f250...I did, and it has been the best truck I've owned to date!

So, I didn't know if she had run any SCAs in the truck, and I didn't know when /if the radiator had ever been flushed. It was full of the "green stuff" and had no indications of cavitation (oil in coolant, etc). No leaks either.

I did a little digging on what precharged coolants would work, and it looked like Zerex g05 (http://www.expresscare.com/consumer/products/antifreeze.asp) would work. I went to the local Valvoline joint and had them change the fluid (I know - i don't like using quick change places, either). While watching them change it, I realized that the g05 is not ethylene glycol based...It's clear/white. It is mixed 50/50 with water as well.

So my question is this: am i protected against cavitation with this stuff, or do i need to drain it and refill with ethylene glycol that is precharged with SCAs?

Thanks in advance for the feedback :hail - i really like the truck, it is running like new, and i don't want to introduce a catastrophic problem by doing something stupid with coolant!

Justin

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you need is a low silicate A/F mixed 50/50 with DISTILLED (or de-ionised) water then add you sca's or get A/F with sca's. Not all sca's are compatible, you will have to search. What ever way you go donot forget to test the nitride and ph levels and adjust to suit

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The link that you supplied is for the standard green coolant, not the G05.

What you had installed is a "Gold" coolant probably the same as Ford uses in newer vehicles. It is a "HOAT" chemistry. The spec sheet states "Fully formulated to prevent liner pitting in heavy duty diesel engines". This would indicate that it is "precharged" with SCA's.

The one known issue with ELC's like this is that they may be incompatible with older coolant seals (water pump and oil cooler) and cause leaks.

My feeling is it's there, and I bet you paid good money for it. Leave it in and if you develop leaks, address those if and when they appear. Keep in mind that the leaks are a "this might happen" not a "this will happen".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Members online