Year 1, WMO Cocktail results

wmoguy

Reaction score
On a recent drive I started doing some calc's as to how Year 1 on WMO Cocktails has turned out. Mainly I was trying to calculate if the return on investment was there to spend some time making my own fuels from a cost savings perspective. Here was my 2011 results

13,860 miles put on my pickup(s) in 2011.

WMO Cocktail gallons used: 738 gallons @ .70 a gallon to make (thats a little high on price) = $516.60 cost
Diesel Fuel purchased: 186 gallons @ $3.95 gallon avg. $742.14

Total Fuel costs in 2011: $1258.74
Total Fuel costs IF I ran 100% Road Diesel: $3686.78 (@ $3.99 per gallon avg)

2011 Fuel Savings: $2428.02

Capital Expenses Incurred in getting setup to run WMO:

PABioDiesel Centrifuge Setup: $1200
Super Sucker: $350
Misc: $100

Total Cap Ex: $1650.00

Year One Savings: $778.02

Estimated 2012 Savings:

18,000 Miles Total Use (be more than 2011 as I didn't start driving my IDI's til March/April 2011)

Diesel Cost: $948.00 (240 Gallons @ $3.95 avg)
WMO Cocktail Cost: $672.00 (960 Gallons @ .70 avg)

Total Fuel Costs: $1620.00
Total Costs if I ran Road Diesel: $4740.00

Estimated 2012 Savings: $3120.00

Some naysayers against running bio fuels would say it's harder on the Injection Pump and Injectors in our Ford IDI's. I can't disagree as I don't know if it is or not. If the 7.3 IDI IP and Injectors are suggested to run 100k miles, lets say you only get 50% duty cycle out of these parts running WMO blends, lets calc the additional costs of these wear parts.

New IP and Injectors: $600.00 / 50,000 miles= 1.2 cents per mile additional cost for running WMO blends.

Overall I'm super pleased with my savings by running WMO blends. The oil is very easy to come across in bulk in my experience and it's not that much of a hassle to pickup (with my super sucker anyway) and the centrifuge does all the dirty work for me. The 3k I'll save this year running blends will make a very nice shot in the arm to my kids college fund. I'm looking forward to the savings and hope others take a look at the $$ they could also save. This IS the reason I drive an old IDI vs. all the new Diesels I've previously owned. You can't ask for a more forgiving and cheap platform to test your alternative fuel cocktails on! ;Sweet

* Disclaimer: The following assumptions are used in my calculations:

1. Average MPG for my pickup is 15. This includes plenty of miles towing my 5ver and empty miles too.
2. Calculating 80% of my fuel use comes from WMO blends. I don't have a fuel meter on my pump but I'm fairly confident this is pretty accurate.
3. I've avg'd my cost per gallon to make my WMO blends @ .70 a gallon. Thus far it's been lower, at around .56 a gallon. I've added a little $$ into my avg to account for the lighter winter WMO fuels I"m running now.
4. My summer blend of fuel is 80% WMO/20% Kerosene (or diesel if I can't get my hands on KERO easily) I mix fuel like a seasoned chef, I don't measure precisely. LOL
5. I do have some additional costs in Electricity to run my centrifuge. I don't really have a way to measure these costs, they are negligible at best.
6. I strongly suggest anyone wanting to run Alternative fuels read up on the subject PRIOR to trying this. AND, have $$ available to repair your pickup when/if you make mistakes and do some damage.

Last edited:

wmoguy

Reaction score
ooooo just thought of something else for those that really like to figure their hourly worth.

2012 I'll burn 960 gallons of WMO blend (guesstimate) From start to finish (collecting, mixing, fuge'ing, etc..) It's about 7 hours to make 50 gallons of fuel. That includes 6 hrs of continuous centrifuging, which I'm really not doing anything at all and not even hanging out with the fuge except for the 5 mins it takes to clean the fuges out. BUT lets assume I HAD To be there and involved 1 hour for 50 gallons. I'll use the fuge roughly 19 times this year to get 960 gallons of fuel. My Hourly "wage" involved in making my fuel blend is $164.21 per hour. Not bad, not bad at all. :sly

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I dont know if its the same for you, but my fuge has a 1/2hp electric motor. Its about 1800 watts to start it cold and about 650 watts running. To run it for 6 hours costs me about $.20..... :D

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're not worthy
We're not worthy
:hail:hail:hail:hail
-Drool-Drool-Drool

Its really nice to see figures from someone thats been using wmo, or any other alternate fuel. That way when someone gives you the :rolleyes::rolleyes: a person can back it up.

Thats awesome.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you mix unleaded gas into your oil to help it settle or do you just centrifuge it?

wmoguy

Reaction score
do you mix unleaded gas into your oil to help it settle or do you just centrifuge it?

I sometimes mix w/ gasoline in qty. However I notice that power is down as is mileage when I use a decent amt of gas. I've had the best of luck mixing w/ Kerosene before I fuge it. My winter blend is still a work in progress, although I think I might be close. I just made a 35 gallon blend last night which was 25 gallons of WMO, 5 gallons of 85 octane, and 5 gallons of Kero. The viscosity is very close to diesel, even when cold. It'll be in my fuel tank tonight and ran this week so I'll report back once I've ran it as to whether it runs well on it. I'm hoping so, as that means my winter blend fuel is just a touch under $1.00 per gallon.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i haven't experimented too much because my current mix is working pretty good and i'm on the road but i am curious if reducing gas and use kero in it's place would bring my mpg up a bit. I don't have any log numbers of diesel miles per gallon but if I remember correctly it was closer to 8. on this w 85 mix I am closer to 7. I see it's only 1 half to 1 mile per gallon difference but it would be nice to close the gap.

I don't know 4 sure if it is because of gas but it would be nice to experiment with kerosene and see. Even then kerosene is so much more expensive than gas it might be a wash anyway. The cheapest kerosene I have seen was at home depot on clearance for 4 dollars a gallon. Since gas is only about 3.30, I am not very pressed to try the change but would still like to know.

with w 85 mix I am paying just under 50 cents a gallon to make my fuel.