*** Now This Is Broke Too!!!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thin fishing type wire that connects the column selector/shifter 'thingy' to the orange 'thingy' that moves the orange 'thingy' to P R N D 2 1
Where the hell do I buy this 'thingy' at AND...how does it connect to the back of the instrument cluster ;Really

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the PRNDL switch cable...I *think* it has a thing with a thumb screw to take it off/put a new one on. Pop the cluster out and have a looksie. Don't need to be careful now since you already broke it lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The bottom of the steering colum needs to come off. There is a small screw that is adjustable to mke it point to the proper gear. Then the dash neds to come out too. Just a bunch of screws and the main harnes plug. Then the sppedo cable... Push that thru from the firewall in the engine compartment for more room to reach arounf behind it. You have to squeeze that plastic plug sop it will slip off the cluster.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you can get new pointer assemblies or not, but I have been able to rig them back together so they work. The pointer has a spring and all you have to do is pull on it and the pointer will move, and let go and it will move back. The string just pulls on the pointer. It's a very high tech setup, but I know Chrysler used the same thing on some of their autos also.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The thin fishing type wire that connects the column selector/shifter 'thingy' to the orange 'thingy' that moves the orange 'thingy' to P R N D 2 1
Where the hell do I buy this 'thingy' at AND...how does it connect to the back of the instrument cluster ;Really
What's one of these worth?
Make offer plus shipping and I'll send you mine. My truck was converted to a zf-5 but someone left it in there. I'm in 74070.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
They are worth nothing if you don't need one pr priceless if you need one...:angel: Knowing Fors these are probably obsolete or they are horribly expensive...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you need it....funny....guys with Standards know what gear they are in why can't guys with autos....Park Reverse Neutral Drive 2 1 how freakin hard is it to know???

Just sayin....I don't look at the wifes cause it sticks and is a pain in ass you look and think it's R and i'ts like N ....so I just know by direction I'm am traveling or not traveling ;Poke

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
This is one of those perfect salvage yard parts. You gain experience on "what not to do", on your rig, while removing the part from the donor.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you need it....funny....guys with Standards know what gear they are in why can't guys with autos....Park Reverse Neutral Drive 2 1 how freakin hard is it to know???

Just sayin....I don't look at the wifes cause it sticks and is a pain in ass you look and think it's R and i'ts like N ....so I just know by direction I'm am traveling or not traveling ;Poke
Trust me, after 25 fricking years of moving the selector from PRND12 > I don't "need it" but, it's just bugs me that it's BROKE! ;Really
I don't like letting things 'broken' add-up. I like things to WORK as intended. Bad enough the fuel shower-heads are busted too > and that's making me crazy cookoo but my health issues are keeping me from getting into that repair.

Then, there's the occasional 'new' girlfriend wanting to help at the boat-ramp > and she puts in REVERSE when FORWARD is needed!:rolleyes:

I know how the cable connects to the column, I repaired it there once already. I don't know what's going on behind the instrument cluster, or where/how it connects back there.

BTW...in my area, there are no OLD trucks as mine...even Junk Yards got rid of them years ago.

Last edited:

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a '79 chevy once (a bad choice from my past) and when the string thingy for the shift indicator broke I discovered a fishing leader I had was just the right length, clipped right in. I have no idea what the set-up is in the Fords, never had one break so never looked.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most any waxed line will replace the broken line on the indicater. Try the wrecking yard approach first. That way you will be able to test how things come apart. Moght even find a dash out of most any ford laying on the seat or floor.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Trust me, after 25 fricking years of moving the selector from PRND12 > I don't "need it" but, it's just bugs me that it's BROKE! ;Really
I don't like letting things 'broken' add-up. I like things to WORK as intended. Bad enough the fuel shower-heads are busted too > and that's making me crazy cookoo but my health issues are keeping me from getting into that repair.

Then, there's the occasional 'new' girlfriend wanting to help at the boat-ramp > and she puts in REVERSE when FORWARD is needed!:rolleyes:

I know how the cable connects to the column, I repaired it there once already. I don't know what's going on behind the instrument cluster, or where/how it connects back there.

BTW...in my area, there are no OLD trucks as mine...even Junk Yards got rid of them years ago.

That is a nice looking example of an old diesel Ford. I totally understand your wanting of whats there to work. Good luck with the rig.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just spent waaaaaay too much time trying to repair this thing. I completely took it apart and even repainted the orange slider inside > that came out GREAT and even polished the main clear cluster cover.
However, I replaced the busted cable with a nylon fishing-leader to only find the OE spring doesn't have enough strength to pull the orange indicator back to "P" :frustrate

Last edited: