Wrecked my truck today :(

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that's helped me with my truck. I enjoyed finding this forum. Today while towing a trailer on I 85 I lost control and rolled it over 3 lanes of traffic. Poor truck. It still fired up and drove to the side though :Thumbs Up. It's a shame it only had 145 on it. Maybe I can find another. If anyone has any leads on one around SC let me know.

You must be registered for see images attach

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW! Good to see your ok! What happened brother? Did she start to sway back and forth on ya? This is why DRW is so superior to SRW for towing.So,so,so much more stable.Any rate.Trucks are replaceable.So long as your good,all will be ok.I bet that put the fear of god in ya lmao! Yikes!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you can keep the salvage, I'd do so and park it in the back 40. turbo IDI and ZF5 is hard to come by.
good to hear you're OK and have pics to show for it.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Sorry to see this. Glad you are ok. Please fill us in on what you think the issue was. May help another from suffering the same fate.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since it rolled over,no doubt these blocks were just picked up from the hwy and ditch and just tossed back in.However if this trailer was loaded like this,all in the back without some of it up at the front on the tongue.She would wag her tail and lead to what happened here.Was the trailer properly loaded or was the mistake in that it was loaded like it was shown here?

Edit; Actually.Don't answer that on a forum here.:D

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe your still alive after looking at that truck, or what's left of it. Glad your okay. Things could have been much worse. That rig saved your life so it did well in my books.

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
Yup the block was too far back. I had the front loaded with a whole display from a big contractor convention. I was on the way to return the pallet of wall block. I didn't bother to move it forward because the Bobcat wouldn't reach far enough. I knew better. Just goes to show sometimes it pays off to go through a little more effort.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah bummer.I suspected.I learned this lesson almost as hard as you learned it.A few years ago I loaded some logs in my,at the time,new to me dump trailer.The tongue weight was too light.I headed onto the HWY and started to sway! It's a good thing chip truck is a dually.I manually slid the brake controller on and then babied it home.I never took another whole log in the trailer again.The F-450 come up for sale soon after with a 16' bed and I snagged it up like flies on you know what! :D

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me, and was able to bring it back in also by reaching down and manually applying the trailer brakes(that means slamming it all the way over in a panic). I have heard that is why surge brakes are not legal, no way to manually apply them.

I could do 40mph. 45mph it would start swaying.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An expensive lesson to say the least.
noone else got hurt or killed. it could have been much worse.
i've towed stuff that I shouldn't have in the past too. key thing is to prep for it. my CC dually tares @9k/lbs and the bias is to the rear. if an off center loaded trailer is hooked to it, keep the speed down and be gentle on the braking.

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
I was doing about 60. I think I hit a big bump in the road and that's what started it swaying. It got away from me pretty quick. I was trying to slow down without slamming on the brakes. Obviously that didn't do much good. I've heard about hitting the break controller, but I didn't didn't have much time to react or even think about that. I'm pretty bummed about my truck, but I'm very thankful I made it out without a single scratch. Even with all my tools flying around inside. I'll tell you one thing. You won't catch me hauling a trailer with no tongue weight again.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I always keep in mind when loading a trailer is where all the weight is. I know my suspension can handle a good amount of weight so im not shy on placing more of the trailer weight on the truck. I know there is a balance but I have found a loaded trailer with almost a perfect weight distribution tows worse than with more weight on the truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online