would you buy a uhaul truck???

willy535

Reaction score
hi,in the market for truck and see alot of used uhauls.what do ya think??opinions wanted

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go into it knowing that it has been beat like a rented mule. Probably had decent semi-regular service intervals done to it, but between services she was probably rode hard and put away wet.

I mean, Ive rented u-hauls before and Ive seen how some people treat them.:angel:

btw, welcome to the site.
:D

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
There are lots of other used trucks out there. As Mike said U-hauls are beat to death. There is a reason U-haul is selling them They are beyond the cost v's dependability factors. If you are looking for cheep storage then sure, but for something to drive I'd look elsewhere. Just my $.02

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
yes welcome to the site!!

what state is it in? both states i should ask?
i agree they are worked real hard!!
but they may still have some life left in them!!
If the price is right????

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
h2odrx said:
yes welcome to the site!!

what state is it in? both states i should ask?
i agree they are worked real hard!!
but they may still have some life left in them!!
If the price is right????

i agree. i wouldn't invest a lot into it at the purchase, just plan on having to replace things and you probably won't be disappointed.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
does the saying "it's a rental... who cares" make a difference... Trust me when I've rented them I was probably one of the nicer guys behind the wheel and I drive everything like I stole it...

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Aside from being beaten like a drum, most I've driven are gutless wonders.

I always assumed they derated, or detuned them, to keep wanna-be gear jammers from wrapping one around a highline pole.

IMHO, The best bet, would be to have one chopped, and goosenecked, so you can pull it with a real truck.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Some of the rental companies service their trucks regularly...not uhaul. The agents will send the things out of the lot with near no oil in them because they don't want to have to fool with getting the reimbursement from the corporate office. Consider a used uhaul to be nothing but a rolling chassis...driveline kaput.

---------Robert

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uhaul trucks are usually a good source of rust free body parts and some other bits and pieces

snookwheel

Reaction score
I bought a 26' box truck Uhaul. 7.3 ltr diesel. Yes, it is far from a rocket, but runs great. I converted it to a camper/jeep hauler. We take put one jeep inside and tow one on a flatbed. We have made a couple trips from Florida to Tellico Tn. with no problems at all. It was a cheap way to put together a workshop/hauler/ camper all in one. I agree that some of the Uhauls are beat to pieces, but some do still have good life left in them. The only thing of size I have had to have done was a new clutch/pressure plate. I recommend them! Just look close before buying.

You must be registered for see images attach

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
I bought a 26' box truck Uhaul. 7.3 ltr diesel. Yes, it is far from a rocket, but runs great. I converted it to a camper/jeep hauler. We take put one jeep inside and tow one on a flatbed. We have made a couple trips from Florida to Tellico Tn. with no problems at all. It was a cheap way to put together a workshop/hauler/ camper all in one. I agree that some of the Uhauls are beat to pieces, but some do still have good life left in them. The only thing of size I have had to have done was a new clutch/pressure plate. I recommend them! Just look close before buying.

Snook

I've considered this many times. There's a UHaul dealer right down the road from me. Last month he had a '91 Ford based IDI box truck for sale and this mont he he has a mid '90's GMC IDI for sale. I'm curious to see pictures of what you did to the inside of the "camper".

I like the bigger IH trucks better. How much did you have to part with for something like that?

Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online