Would This IC Work On Our Trucks?

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I haven't been on here much lately due to working, but I found this on CL tonight and wondering if you guys think it might be big enough to work on our trucks? Clicky... Intercooler

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how easy it would be because of how narrow it is and with those outlets pointing straight out like that. Maybe you could mount it with the outlets on the bottom and mount it low enough that they would stick under the core support, with the diesel core support that is pretty low though. If you were good with a TIG you could always just move the outlets. It's a really good price as long as there are no leaks or anything. I am sure it could be made to work, it just depends on how much work you are wanting to do.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice lookin intercooler. The size of it seems awful tight for using in our trucks. You may wanna call Behr first. Their info: 4500 Leeds Ave # 101, North Charleston, SC - (843) 745-1233
Find out what the application for this intercooler is first.
I would suggest measuring an intercooler out of a 2000 ford and then compare before making your decision

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is near as wide as the radiator; measure your radiator.

You could orient it such that both inlet and outlet were on the right side of the radiator and use a cross-over on the outlet, much the same as the cross-over on the non-I/C Cummins, except that it would actually work out much better, seeing as how the intake on the IDI is located top-center of the engine.

The outlet tube would pretty much follow the same path as a plain old ram-air tube on a NA engine.;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the radiator will fit between the tubes it will work. IIRC you need 32 inches.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: why not just run a PS intercooler? There's lots of them around and they fit the OBS really nicely since that's what they were designed for.

Just my .02

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that seems to be the easiest swap from what I've read here. Everybody wants to do it on the cheap though.

zpd307

Reaction score
yes, psd intercoolers seem to be doing nothing but going up in price.......

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I haven't looked hard for a little while, but in the last couple years I've seen lots of 7.3 intercoolers in the $75-150 range out here in the Northwest.

I have a used 7.3 intercooler that I would sell for $100 (hint, hint Kevin over in Bend).

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I have an IC from a 6.0L in the garage. I have the "slant nose" bodystyle though, and these truck were build without the idea of an IC or turbo installed on them.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

here is the setup i found.

That is air-to-water I/C.

Were I to utilize one of those, I would add an entirely seperate water reservoir that was independent of engine heat, having an electric pump to cycle the water and also a hatch to add :thumbsup:ICE:thumbsup:.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online