WMO processing question

F250man73

Reaction score
I have a question about processing WMO for fuel. Would using a water heater be safe to heat the oil in? It would be heated to about 150-180F.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'l work, I use water heater elements to heat my oil in drums. Make sure you have a port vented to atmosphere so the off gassing won't build pressure. ALL water heaters rather they are used for a week, or 2 decades WILL have calcium scale as well as other minerals built up as flakes in the bottom of the heater. It is hard to get them all out, but turning the tank upside down and flushing will help.
I'm on the lookout to find a short fat cabinet type 40 gal heater now.

Welcome to the board, and what part of TN are you from?

Last edited:

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Secondly, I have found that heat in the range of 150 to 180 does little aside from changing the viscosity while hot. I heat to somewhere in the 250 range, It will dry out even dissolved water. I do not heat that high while running my fuges, but I do heat that high before I start the run. I have found I have much less trouble with my batches that I heated so hot that spit in the oil will popple and crack just like water in a deep fryers does.

A design I have in my head is to use a water heater and a vacuum pump to vacuum distil water out of oil requiring less heat energy input.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you ever get by this way, stop by and see the setup. I can teach you a lot of what not to do! I'm actually in Ashport, just about a ten minute walk to the Mississippi River. I'm about 120 miles from you.

My oldest Daughter is best friends with the daughter of Michael Braden, he was the man shot up there at the National Guard a couple weeks ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online