WMO in JD diesel

clarence1984

Reaction score
I have a like new old John Deere 4039 3.9 Nat Asp diesel with 40k lima genset on it. I have run it on diesel and it smokes a little after it's warmed up. This thing has been the biggest pain in the ass to get it running on wmo. But I have done it now I just need to fine tune it.

I tried putting a heat exchanger on and this unit has no glow plugs so it is a pig to get started on pure WMO. The heat exchanger forces the pump to run rich after it get's the fuel hot. (not sure why seems like it should run lean) The WMO is refined fuel so there is less water than our local diesel station has in their fuel. Also it really burns super clean in our waste oil burners and drip oil stoves. Plus there is an unlimited amount considering we pickup 1000's of gallons of used oil from drop off stations.

So after switching up from my Mitsubishi s3l diesel (which has more of a bosch style injection pump and 2000 model electric ford diesel lift pump) it has burned pure motor oil for about 8000 hours without any problems and nearly no smoke and crank oil is blond for the first 35 hours or so. I wanted more power on the JD 4039 and the db2 pump sucks it's straight up is the biggest piece of crap i have ever seen. Short of deleting it completely putting timing reflectors on the flywheel and setting up my own electronic injection system I wanted to get this pump working right.

So the db2 seems to inject the oil fine. obviously maintaining 1psi on this pump is very ******* the lift side. But the return sucks on it. So I just try to regulate the pressure with a pressure regulator set at 2psi. The fuel filter on this is a PH8A ford style oil filter (10psi bypass valve never get's used with a 7 - 9psi lift pump) The unit starts on starting fluid (diesel with a little power service in a windex bottle) it starts and burns clean until it warms up it smokes quite a bit. Now I have backed off the advance screw at the bottom all the way which reduces the egt's down alot and the smoke down alot. However is it possible to remove the large nut shaped cover on the advance spring inside and reduce that spring down a bit to back off the advance more as the heavy oil has more energy content the generator has plenty of power running and needs to run more lean on fuel. I'm not worried about ruining this injection pump and injectors I have a spare set. Also I have went back to running the fuel cold as it smokes less and doesn't drop it in the crankcase which it does with hot fuel. The generator has about 500 hours on it so far. Been running wmo since 4 hours. I just want to reduce the smoke at operating temperature to a reasonable amount as it builds up and the wind tends to blow it towards another facility about 400 yards away right into there doors. The s3l was clear vapor coming out the exhaust so I know the wmo can be burnt cleanly since it is refined.

Last edited:

clarence1984

Reaction score
follow up

follow up on here wasn't sure if anyone was checking this out. Generator is running fine just a little on the smokey side running 100 percent used motor oil for fuel. I pulled the injectors today and they still look like new no real buildup of soot. I'm going to pull the advance spring out and see if i can shorten it up a bit to push on the advance timing less as I need 3 degrees or 4 degrees total it looks like. When the unit starts cold there is barely any smoke at all just clean vapor. After 2 hours of running it is smoking pretty good. It is after the engine oil heats up the injector pump. I need to offset this. Some tips or help here would be great.