WMO Fuel pump problems

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having some issues on my 89 7.3 and need some advice. I have been running WMO for about a year and a half. I run roughly 90% WMO to 10% diesel. I started out with the factory mechanical pump but it went out in about 3 months. I then installed a Purolator Holley red knock off pump. Six months latter the fuel filter light started coming on and it was starving for fuel. I then installed an actual Holley red pump. The fuel filters are all good. It just went out also. I prefilter the oil to 5 microns before filling the tank. I then run a universal oil filter before the fuel pump, a Racor Vormax with a 3 micron filter and then the stock filter. The old pumps would still pull diesel but would not pull WMO when they got wore out. I am thinking about running two fuel pumps. An Airtex E8153 back at the fuel tank and then a Holley red under the hood. I have rebuilt the current Holley pump with a new rotor vane assembly and check valve. It works again but I don't want to keep having this problem. I know other people are running the Holley, Airtex E8153, Carter P4070, GP4389, P4594, Faucet 40109 and the Carrier pumps. What are people having the best luck with WMO?

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i don't run much WMO but i run pretty exclusively on SVO. I have been relying on the stock mechanical lift pump because i have never had much luck with electric pumps and high viscosity fuels. One "trick" to help run high viscosity fuels is to heat the fuel filter. You can "T" into the coolant line coming out of the pass side of the engine, run the coolant through a copper tube wrapped around the filter universal oil filter, then back up to a "T" in the coolant line returning to the water pump. This will make the fuel a little thinner and help out your pumps. Also i would always recommend filtering to your fuel to your lowest micron value outside of the struck. i filter to 1 micron nominal using whole house filters. http://www.micronfiltercartridges.com/wholeHouse.html . filtering to your lowest micron level in the vehicle is just asking to clog a filter and put a lot of stress. I hope this helps