WMO Filter Setup

wmoguy

Reaction score
Hey guys, here is my crude drawing of my WMO Filter setup. This will be stored in my garage and filter oil as needed to run in my IDI.

Suggestions? I am limited on space some, thus the reason I am thinking of using an IBC tote to hold it.

Attachments

• WMOFiltersetup.jpg
    WMOFiltersetup.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 252

rayamash

Reaction score
I am also seeking advice from other users on this forum for running wmo in my diesel jeep liberty crd. I have a wmo filtering system, and use the filtered wmo and tranny atf in my home fuel oil furnace and pole barn waste oil heater. Works well for this purpose. Now i want to try in my jeep liberty diesel crd.

Here is link to my youtube video of my current system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuPKZauGXUE

What you cant see in my video, my centrifuge, drains into a 1-micron bag filter hanging below it. All oil and tranny fluid is first poured into a 5-micron bag also hanging in the barrel. The final product is pumped throuogh a 10 and 2 micron filter for use in my house furnace....

I need more knowledgeable users to point out what i need to learn yet before trying in my jeep liberty.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Hey guys, here is my crude drawing of my WMO Filter setup. This will be stored in my garage and filter oil as needed to run in my IDI.

Suggestions? I am limited on space some, thus the reason I am thinking of using an IBC tote to hold it.

Build your system vertically.

Unless you are getting extremely clean raw WMO, I think those filters will clog pretty fast. I use gravity to send wmo through nestled drum filters, 200/100/75/50 microns, then send that oil, under pressure, through nestled 25/10/5/2 micron sock filters and into the truck. My filtration system is a bit more than most, because I don't want to be cleaning/replacing filters constantly.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Build your system vertically.

Unless you are getting extremely clean raw WMO, I think those filters will clog pretty fast. I use gravity to send wmo through nestled drum filters, 200/100/75/50 microns, then send that oil, under pressure, through nestled 25/10/5/2 micron sock filters and into the truck. My filtration system is a bit more than most, because I don't want to be cleaning/replacing filters constantly.

Man I wish I could build vertically, I just am concerned thats not in the cards for the space I have in the garage. Plus I am super nervous about stacking totes and having that much weight hanging up in the air.

So do you think I might get a happy medium by having more filters between pump and clean oil tank? Maybe start with larger micron filters and work down to 5 micron?
I have this pump already from when I ran BioDiesel and its a pretty stout and inexpensive pump. http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-diesel-transfer-pump-66784.html Do you think its stout enough to pump WMO from one tank to the other like I have in my drawing? Also, I wouldn't mind adding in a heating element on at least the waste oil tank. Does anyone have suggestions as to maybe a rod element that can dip in the oil which would safely provide heat?

Black dawg

Reaction score
regularly sheduled compression tests

injector tester

a spare ip or two.

filter as good as you can, 2mic isnt enough.

the best thing you can do is let your oil settle for some time before filtering.

Ive burned lots of wmo over the last few years and Ive learned that there is no way around accelerated fuel system wear. My current pump/injectors has about 40K. pump is doing good, but injectors are getting pretty ratty. This is filtered to 2mic 3 times and mixed at 50/50 with #2.

built4tq1

Reaction score
http://www.bluegrassfuel.net/page2.php
I bought this kit some time ago and have had nothing but great use of it. It's a little spendy however i wanted the kit strictly for the polymer filter. I have done my own experimenting with other kits of my own with decent results before and after i bought this and i must say the pfc is amazing. I don't use the polymer filter unless i know I have obtained some deleted oil and the polymer cleans up the water every time. Other than that this kit comes with a 10 mic steel screen filter that connects to the pick up tube then filters through a 1 micron filter. With a couple hundred gallons through this system I have yet to replace the 1 micron filter. I have only had to clean the 10 micron screen filter with some carb cleaner or compressed air. I run 80% oil through my truck and she runs great. To extend the life of injection parts its important to make sure your fuel is heated before it hits the injection pump. I run a heat exchanger at the bottom of my radiator just inside the trans cooler and I switch to wmo when the truck is up to op temps. I've also installed two glow plugs in my filter head along with a temp sensor so i may see how warm my fuel is before switching. One thing great about a coolant heat exchanger is, whenever your trucks plugged in its also warming your fuel and having glow plugs also installed works great for a 1 tank system because it allows for super quick heating.

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry not trying to hi-jack the thread. But what do all you guys running WMO do about the legal issues? I've read a lot of nightmare stories about running non-taxed fuel.

I part out a lot of vehicles and take care of a small fleet of vehicles owned by family members. Right now I've probably got close to 300 gallons of WMO. I really wanted to run it in my diesel as a way to save some cash and dispose of the WMO.

But I've read some horror stories about guys getting caught and getting huge fines both by the state and the federal government. I'm poor and can't afford thousand of dollars in fines. So I'm about ready to dump the idea of running WMO.

I don't know if I run it or just give my oil away to someone with a WMO buner/heater:dunno

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Sorry not trying to hi-jack the thread. But what do all you guys running WMO do about the legal issues? I've read a lot of nightmare stories about running non-taxed fuel.

I part out a lot of vehicles and take care of a small fleet of vehicles owned by family members. Right now I've probably got close to 300 gallons of WMO. I really wanted to run it in my diesel as a way to save some cash and dispose of the WMO.

But I've read some horror stories about guys getting caught and getting huge fines both by the state and the federal government. I'm poor and can't afford thousand of dollars in fines. So I'm about ready to dump the idea of running WMO.

I don't know if I run it or just give my oil away to someone with a WMO buner/heater:dunno

Who is getting all of this unwanted attention about untaxed fuel? Do you mean just regular folks driving around in pickup trucks? If you are not selling it, how can the govmt demand more taxes on petroleum that has already been taxed and discarded?

Anyway- to get back on topic, as was mentioned before, 2microns is not enough. I know the 5 micron to 20 micron sock filters are only $5-$7 and the 0.5 micron filters are $13-$14, but come on! An IP rebuild is at least $500! All you actually need is a 5 micron sock and a 0.5 micron sock and you're pretty much in business unless you want to centrifuge the oil also. I just the other night cleaned out my 'fuge for the first time after 20hrs. of use and was amazed- understand that I heat & blend my wmo before filtering to make it move a little faster but was still expecting to find a lot of crap and water in there. It seems that the heating takes care of the water and the stuff that came off of the wall of the 'fuge was soot. That's the only way to describe it. At 90psi my fuge does 60gph, I heat process & gravity filter to 0.5 micron (50gal.) for 3-1/2 hrs then 'fuge for 3-1/2 hrs (4 passes) then let settle for 12hrs. Currently running 60%WMO blend, 1 GP cycle & 3-4 seconds of starting and we're running. If you want to see my rig, search for clflyguy on youtube.;Sweet

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
built4tq1
"I run a heat exchanger at the bottom of my radiator just inside the trans cooler"

Could you please give us some pictures and tell us where you got your heat exchanger?
John

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BioFarmer93
What do most CF's give for micron ratings after one or two passes. I always figured the CF was the way to go for particle size, takin nothing away from normal filters (spin on, cartridge, or sock).
wmoguy,
Glad to see more guys going this direction, wmo that is, I think the process of adding wmo to the fuel has been going on a long time. Technology is making it possible for more people to use wmo this way.;Sweet

rayamash

Reaction score
I use a centrifuge...

BioFarmer93
What do most CF's give for micron ratings after one or two passes. I always figured the CF was the way to go for particle size, takin nothing away from normal filters (spin on, cartridge, or sock).
wmoguy,
Glad to see more guys going this direction, wmo that is, I think the process of adding wmo to the fuel has been going on a long time. Technology is making it possible for more people to use wmo this way.;Sweet

I have been using a centrifuge on a "basic" wmo system i built for cleaning the wmo and used tranny fluid for a year now. Been using in my home fuel oil furnace. Had furnace turned up for this.

Now i am researching using this in my 2006 jeep liberty crd diesel. (i know its not a real truck.....)

Here is link to my youtube video of my system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuPKZauGXUE

What you cant see in the barrel is the 1-micron filter bag hanging below the centrifuge. i pour all new oils into this bag first and let the output of the centfuge filter also through this bag.

The seller of my centrifuge recomends 5 passes through the centfuge, and claims this will result in 1-micron or less particle size. Based on this, it takes me 5 hours to process a 30-40 gallon batch.

Fact is, i got no way to measure or verify the results, other than my final spin-on filter is 5-micon and its hasnt plugged up yet. Color is still black. Works on my home oil furnace. I think this might work for use in my jeep diesel.... not ready to make that leap of faith yet.

Last edited:

TestDriver

Reaction score
........................Fact is, i got no way to measure or verify the results, other than my final spin-on filter is 5-micon and its hasnt plugged up yet. Color is still black. Works on my home oil furnace. I think this might work for use in my jeep diesel.... not ready to make that leap of faith yet.

I'm in the market for the same vehicle as yours and plan to run some waste hydro on it. I'm hopeful that by the time I do get one, you'll have some experience with this to share with us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online