1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMO centrifuge system finally up and running!

Discussion in 'BioDiesel & Alternative Fuels' started by bbjordan, Feb 2, 2015.

1. bbjordan

bbjordan Snow Monkey

chillman88, my order of operations is:

-let acquired WMO settle out. The longer, the better.
    -boil out the water
    -heat it while running thru the centrifuge. I usually heat it between 80C and 110C (176F - 230F)
    -after it's centrifuged, I mix it with 10-15% RUG and maybe another 5% biodiesel.

I don't even mix it with diesel now. It seems to run ok in both my IDIs and Powerstrokes. I do get the engines up to operating temperature on diesel before switching to the WMO cocktail. The engine also gets run on diesel before shutdown to purge the WMO. I also run Seafoam in the diesel tank to help de-coke the injectors.

chillman88 likes this.
  2. bbjordan

bbjordan Snow Monkey

More crap pulled out of the same batch of WMO after another 12 hours of 'fuging! :eek:

P_20200829_095203.jpg

This is why I don't have a fixed time on the centrifuge. I just run it through the 'fuge until I think it's clean enough.

chillman88 likes this.
  3. YJMike92

YJMike92 Full Access Member

Will you centrifuge again or run it?

4. YJMike92

5. bbjordan

bbjordan Snow Monkey

YJMike92, the centrifuge pulled just as much crap out yesterday. :p I will keep centrifuging it until it only has a thin layer of crud. I've had batches that have taken 48 hours on the centrifuge. This looks like this batch might take that much time or more. :rolleyes:

As for mixing in the RUG, I just pour it in the barrel of oil and then run the pump to recirculate it for a few minutes. I also recirculate it in the barrel a few minutes before I fill the truck tank from the barrel. After it's in the tank, I don't worry about it too much because I normally use it right away, and also when the engine is running, the fuel gets recirculated in the tank anyway.

6. YJMike92

I've tried recirculating with a pump, maybe I'll try that again.
    My most recent attempt was putting 5 gallons of RUG in the bottom of a 55-gallon barrel and allowing the oil from the centrifuge to drip into the barrel. When the barrel was about 50% full I put a 1/2" pipe with an agricultural spray nozzle at a 90% angle down to the bottom of the barrel. Attached an air hose with a regulator and bubbled air through the solution. I have not tried that barrel of fuel yet. It seems the gas tends to lay on the top of the oil if it is not forced to mix.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020