WMO and old oil burning furances

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread kinda dovetails with the other thread I put up.
I have access to a couple of old(30-40yrs old) oil burning furances would wmo mixes work in these??
These are single room furances.
What experiences have you guys had??
Thanks again.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear 50% works without mods. why mess with a 40 year old furnace?

I picked up a 5 year old 180k BTU oil furnace for $500 :)

boxathey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive worked on a fist full of the reznor style oil burning furnaces and helped convert a couple regular fuel oil furnaces into a waste oil furnace. It was pretty simple. you just have to make sure if your running straight waste oil you preheat the oil right before it sprays out the nozzle. without it being preheated it will be a little to thick to atomize properly. plus using waste oil you will have to clean the heat exchanger more frequently. with a little tinkering you can make it work flawlessly.

sassyrel

Reaction score
ive worked on a fist full of the reznor style oil burning furnaces and helped convert a couple regular fuel oil furnaces into a waste oil furnace. It was pretty simple. you just have to make sure if your running straight waste oil you preheat the oil right before it sprays out the nozzle. without it being preheated it will be a little to thick to atomize properly. plus using waste oil you will have to clean the heat exchanger more frequently. with a little tinkering you can make it work flawlessly.

i tired preheating the oil in mine--nope,,still wasnt hot enought..if i could figure out,,how to feed just a smite of htg oil in there to get it started,,,,,,,,

litlespidy

Reaction score
I have been burning a mineral oil that is as heavy as atf, straight in my fuel oil burner in my shop all winter. It wont start on its own so what I have been doing is about 20 min before I start working in the shop I use a propane bullet heater to heat the fuel supply line. After about 20 min I can shut the propane heater off and hear the oil cooking in the line. The furness starts everytime and it burns hot enough that the blow never turns off. This seems to work well as my shop does not have much insulation in the ceiling but next year I fear I'll have to blend it with fuel oil or alcohal of some sort.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
for startign why could you not plumb a 3 way valve in to feed regular heating oil for start up then switch it to WMO to run, just make sure you reverse it for shut down. might even be able to work in a fuel solenoid to do it automatically if you want to get fancy.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being most of us have a IDI, has anyone ever used a injector with most of the guts taken out, and very low air pressure,
to "spray" the wmo mixture into some kind of furnace???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online