wiring question

dsbyrd

Reaction score
on my 1989 f250 7.3 the plug between my engine wiring harness and main harness melted due to high resistance for the time being I cut the plug off and butt connected the wires together well I wanna fix it back factory can you buy this plug or what have you guys done to fix this problem

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could loose your mind and do this.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

But seriously, if you break the GP feed wires out, standard weather pack connectors will handle everything else. Anderson style connector on the GP feed and you are golden.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much. GP harnesses are modified 6.0 PSD.

Connectors loom wire and such came from Amazon or eBay. Don't remember which. The 10 pole is a Metri pack. You don't need 10 poles if you pull the 2 power feed wires.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you butt connect all of them or just the 2 big ones?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you don't want to put it back like the factory had it, they all melt after awhile, a little design error.

Like was hinted, I just cut the two large yellow wires out, the smaller wires and that part of the plug was still useable. If you have already cut the whole thing, then just find some type of other plug for the smaller wires, and use a battery disconnect plug like the picture above for the large wires. Here's a link to the larger plugs.
http://www.ningbo-electric.com/power-pole-connectors.html

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just dealt with this on my truck. While the engine was out I realized this connector isn't really necessary. You can remove all the wires individually from the engine (which you'll need to do anyway for any kind of rebuild) and feed the harness off the engine and hang it over your fender. So I Crimped, soldered, and heat shrunk the wires together. Everything works better, and I have no worries about that horrible connector burning my truck to the ground.

dsbyrd

Reaction score
What size Anderson connector did you use? Also where do you get the connector I was just gunna get a 8 pin and put the power wires separate

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why even use a connector? I have 4 gauge running to my GPC straight from the battery. simple enough to take off if need be.
its a solenoid, I like to treat them as such.

dsbyrd

Reaction score
My truck is spotless inside and out and its time to give the engine bay some attention. With a freshly painted motor and everything I'm trying to clean up all the wiring and repaint everything as well so I don't want a bunch of wires ran everywhere clean is my plan here

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GP/Engine harness on newer OBS is o LH side of trucks. Same plug...no gp dounle yellow wire...find said plug from wrecker get both sides....replace yours one wire at a time leaving out gp wires.

It is actually not difficult ...remove red middle section and the wires should come out simlle enough. Just do one wire as I said at a time....you shoud have zero issues then.

Replace red plugs and wire gp seperately

Bobs yer uncle

JM7.3CW Eh!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size Anderson connector did you use? Also where do you get the connector I was just gunna get a 8 pin and put the power wires separate

It's the connector for like up to 6 AWG wire. It came from Amazon. The other one is a Metripack that came from eBay. Cheapest place I could find it. Came with both halves and the pins and seals. Had a few extras of each pin and seal.

dsbyrd

Reaction score
Did you use the metri-pack/weather pack pliers or did you do it a different way

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the cheaper set of pliers. I like the nice ratchet ones I have at work better but they were adequate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86