wiring crossover, need help

19jackal90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
putting the '89 idi motor in the '94 idi, what do these wires go to-'89 w/red,w/blue,blk/pink,red,red/w,blk/blue
'94 w/red,w/blue,blk/pink or red or brown?,red,"2x red/w",blk/blue
its my dads truck so i gotta hook up everything. my truck i just have my own wire harness i made to the solanoids and all manual gauges. no cruise.

thanks, jesse

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are going to have problems since that 94 body styles runs it's accesories differently than the 89. the cruise run off electric not vacum like the old ones. as far as the glow plugs should have a probelm with the individual wires, but the relay is different. the relay for the 94 will work with wire harness though you might need to find the right wires as the old one is mark differently. if i were you i would go get a whole 94 whire harness, and the glow plugs that go with it. if you are not running the serpentine belt setup that vacum lines will not reach either. good luck!

19jackal90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have most the important wires just cant find the console wires in the chilton manual. itll run and start and the cruise works, jus no oil pressure, charge, and wait to start light and dosent come on, check engine stays on.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you doing a diesel conversion, or are you just swapping motors? Cause if your just swapping motors, why not move the wiring harness off the old motor and use it?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I see and am wondering. The "destination" truck is a 94, which we all know had 3 diesel options. He said in his last post:
itll run and start and the cruise works, jus no oil pressure, charge, and wait to start light and dosent come on, check engine stays on.

What really caught my attention was check engine stays on. Did a 94 IDI, either flavor, have a Check Engine Light. If it is indeed a CEL, could they be replacing a 1st Gen 7.3 PSD with a 7.3 IDI? Because if there is a CEL and it was a PSD, the Oil Pressure, Battery and WTS light are all controlled electronically by the PCM correct? I think we need to confirm what engine is being replaced.....

19jackal90, can you post up pictures of the original engine and the replacement engine, to help confirm what is being replaced with what.....

19jackal90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is the same motor swap, door says it was produced 9/93. no wires goining under the valve covers. ip looks the same as the '89. digital camra bit the dust while finishin up my truck. cell is a piece of crap, rugbys suck dont get one. maybe a diff gauge cluster from a psd? idk... i do kno a few of the wires go to the cruise but dont know what the color change is between the two plugs. my dad already hacked the wire harness apart on both the 94 motor and the 89 truck for the plugs. should i just throw the closest looking wires together and hope nothin frys?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think all IDI's have a "check engine" light of one flavor or another, so I wouldn't go by that.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
white/red goes to the rear of the engine to the oil pressure sender/switch.

darkblue/yellow and black/yellow go to the tach sender on the front gear housing.

white/lightblue goes to the driver's side of the engine to the two temp sending units.

black/lightblue goes over to the fuel filter sensor.

darkgreen/lightgreen and red/yellow go to the low vacuum switch on the pass side inner fender.

The same red/yellow also goes to the fuel in water sensor on the fuel filter,along with red/white and a black/lightblue.

A black pink goes from the glowplug controller to the wait to start light in the dash.

I am not sure what the problem would be with the cruise control. The wiring to it has nothing much in common with the engine wiring? Unless you have swapped transmissions also, in which case the absence of the clutch switch would hold the cruise out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online