Wire on bottom of fuel filter fell apart

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the wire actually fell out of the rubber fitting that was molded to it. The rubber fitting is still snapped onto the bottom of the fuel filter.

I think I know when it happened. A few days ago the "fuel filter" light came on really briefly as I started. I didn't know there was such a light, lol, just the water in fuel light (which didn't come on). It didn't come on after that but when I looked at the fuel filter a day or two later I saw the wire laying there.

NAPA couldn't find a replacement part. Should I care? Just routinely replace the fuel filter? It's been 1.5-2 years so far, under 10k miles.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rap some electrical tape around the wire so it doesn't ground out on anything and call it good, thats what I did when I deleted the factory fuel filter.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our 7.3 fuel filter headers have 3 differant wires going to it. On the bottom is the water in fuel sender wire. On the very top passenger side of the head is the fuel heater wire. then finally on the drivers side of the filter head is the fuel filter warning sender wire. This comes on when the fuel supply to the injection pump is under vacuum or the supply to the filter is restricted. Sometimes the restriction can be a plugged feed line from the tanks or the filter can be plugging up with dirt. There are a few other reasons the fuel restriction dash light may come on but this should help you figure it out.
As already posted. Wrap some electrical tape around the broken wire end. No need to see it burn because it grounded out.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here ya go.

Attachments

• DSCN0634.JPG
    DSCN0634.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0635.JPG
    DSCN0635.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 15

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In Bill's pics the vacuum switch is not the dash low vacuum switch. That vacuum switch is the tuna can looking pot usually located on the passenger side fender well. This vacuum switch bill is pointing out tells you your fuel delivery to the injection pump has just become a vacuum and not enough fuel supply is reaching the injection pump. In my many years of owning my rig only once has my dash fuel light ever come on. and that was when I was really asking the engine to lay down some power. Even then it barely lit up and as soon as I got out of the throttle it went out. I had a Fram fuel filter on the engine when I purchased the truck. You bet I changed it too. Now after nearly 300,000 miles I still never see that dash light come on. I maintain my engine so it will not be an issue some late Sunday night on a dark road miles from home...

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm,

Well I did tape the wire. It was the "fuel filter' light that flashed briefly when starting once that made me notice the wire hanging loose. Hasn't come back on since. But then no wires are now connected to the fuel filter. The fuel filter is the one from NAPA. And the replacement ones don't have the electrical connectors!!! They tried to tell me it's always been like that. NO, I bought the darn thing from you 1.5-2 years ago and it had the electrical connector on it. Of course I can take the plug out, and BUY a the sensor or whatever, grrr. So maybe I should care even less and change the fuel filter more often just to be safe.