Wire clutter clearing.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solenoid is a device that uses electric current to produce limited mechanical motion, usually linear. Relay is a contactor, uses small current to engage or disengage a bridge between two or more high-power terminals and thus complete or break high-power circuits. Devices that operate the IDI high idle and the fuel shutoff are solenoids (and FSS isdefinitely NOT intermittent-duty), thing on the fender and thing that powers the glowplugs are relays. Additionally, the relay on the fender is intermittent-duty, while the winch and plow ones are continuous duty.

And just to muddy the waters even more, both solenoids and relays tend to use a solenoid coil to turn the small electric current into the magnetic field that moves contacts and mechanical linkages. So the two types of devices are closely-related.

Last edited:

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here in Phx a guy can go buy a complete steering column for less than 50 bucks at any pull-a-part. I did it last year for the f150 and need to do it for the idi now

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you guys talking about fusable links? When i think of a fusable link I think of 2 pieces of wire with a single fuse in between that uses the ato fuses

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you guys talking about fusable links? When i think of a fusable link I think of 2 pieces of wire with a single fuse in between that uses the ato fuses

Ok that is a type...but in the automotive world from factory...

You may have a say 10 AWG charge wire with a 12 AWG section...that smaller section is the fusable link...it's seen on our wires where you see larger wire then shrink wrap and a smaller diameter wire then shrink wrap then larger diameter wire.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
They're easiest found by looking at the wires coming off the fender mounted starter relanoid. (giggling like a little school girl)
:roflmao:

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP;
the only thing that left me stranded on any of my IDI's is when the linkage between the keyed ignition switch and the electrical ignition switch self destructed. Could get the engine fired, but couldn't get the steering wheel unlocked, or power to anything.
So one of the first things I did to my truck is ditch that stock switch, and run a generic parts store switch instead. Then added switches for starter, glow plugs, cold start advance, and high idle solenoid.