Winterization begins!!!

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I run 15w-40 all year also and it can get chilli in my neck of the woods to but im thinking that I might switch to a thinner oil this winter as I no longer have a plug in at work. Its hard to find a 5w-40 diesel oil unless its synthetic. I don't think I have even seen 10w-40 in diesel oil....im sure this is just due to my poor vision. Or is it??

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its hard to find a 5w-40 diesel oil unless its synthetic. I don't think I have even seen 10w-40 in diesel oil....im sure this is just due to my poor vision. Or is it??

Nope. All we have here is 5-40 and 15-40. And yes, all the 5-40s Ive seen are for the newer turbo diesels = synthetic.

I too will probably continue to run 15-40 through the "winter". Id say the avg throughout the season is around freezing (its VA though so you can give or take about 30*) so not too cold.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I have seen near 0 deg F in South Jersey but the temperature has too much of a swing for me to really consider using anything other than 15/40. It could be 4 deg F with a wind chill of -17, and in the upper 30's the following week.:rolleyes: I could only wish for more of a Canadian taste of winter, I do enjoy the cold.cookoo

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last winter I tried the new Rotella 10W30 semi-syn, and my truck started better and had less clatter at startup. I feel it gets cold enough here I think the 7.3 supplement manual recommends it with temps consistently below 30.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could only wish for more of a Canadian taste of winter, I do enjoy the cold.cookoo

;Sweet

I WILL be moving to some place cooler/drier before I die (hopefully). Shoot Id like snow all year round.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen near 0 deg F in South Jersey but the temperature has too much of a swing for me to really consider using anything other than 15/40. It could be 4 deg F with a wind chill of -17, and in the upper 30's the following week.:rolleyes:

We've literally been a foot+ deep in snow one week and low 60s the next.cookoo

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
Yep, I said it. So sue me!!!

I am STILL LOOKING for an F350 front output yoke for a transfer case (BW 1356) if ANYONE has a double cardain jointed yoke from an F350 they want to part with......I NEED a front driveshaft this winter!!!

You might check under Bronco's as well. From diggin around on Rock Auto's website the yoke PN's were the same IIRC F350 and rear Bronco. I have a rear Bronco driveshaft for the front of my converted F250 with the yoke but I have not tried it yet to see if it will work.

Been thinkin it's time to toss the plow frame back on for the winter myself. Then finish fixin the plow (rebuilt the power angle cylinders) and fix the pump (needs a new valve or two). Might be nice to patch the cab corners/rockers before winter this year too. Only been meaning to do that for 2-3 years now...LOL

Nick

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I will be going through my GPS tomorrow..... ugh, not quite ready for winter, but dying to hit the hills on the sled...

PZ

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 0W40 synth in everything of mine year round, IDI, PSD, Cummins, 460(if it ever lives through a break in period... LOL) you name it, even my ATV.
My IDI actually used much more oil with dino 15W40 in it than 0W40, 3-4 quarts per change vs .5-1.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online