Winter fuel

nmu1974

Reaction score
Is there any certain date that diesel needs to be changed to the winter blend by?

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i would think it depends on the temp where your at... the date for the fuel in canada isn't going to be the same here in georgia

i have no clue what that temp is... maybe someone else will chime in there

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know if there is a "drop dead" date that the refineries follow and are making only winter fuel regardless of temp by or if they follow the weather forecasts.

sassyrel

Reaction score
at place where get mine--one pump has no 2-other no 1--do our own mixing--much better--can adjust for up or down temps right there--at about 32 is when you need to put in some no 1---i NEVER--even with buick and tempo diesels--went over 25% mix--even at 90 chill--apparently the heaters were working!!but i also carried one qt of power service anti gell with me--youll know--the vehicle will start to pull down like your restricting the fuel--and most stations around here mix 30%--and your mileage suffers bad!!!!!

bentwings

Reaction score
I think it happens around the 1st of Oct in Minnesota. I've just noticed adrop in mileage. Hope it's not the truck. But it was the same last year. I think it is progressive too as it wasn't untill Nov or Dec that mileage fell way off.

bentwings

rubberfish

Reaction score
Here at this time of year ya get a choice between "coastal", and "winter" fuel.
So if I'm heading inland to the cabin I fill up on "winter", good for -35.
If I'm staying here in town, I stick with "coastal", good for -12.

sassyrel

Reaction score
thats again why i like the station in the next town--mix your own--for the changing conditions--and dont suffer mileage so bad---

Turbo Tim 1

Reaction score
I know the Hess stations around me have stickers on the pumps saying that winter blend is in the tanks from October 1st till April 1st. Around this area most of the blending is done when the truck is loaded and they vary the percentage depending on expected temperatures with the most usually being a 50/50 blend. The local independent terminal has the best fuel in the winter with usually a 70/30 blend but you have to find the mom and pop shops they supply.

Whit

Reaction score
I hauled fuel for Flying J for a couple years here in Wyoming and we would keep straight #2 until temps got down to 30* then we would haul in #1 and start blending it into the underground 60,000 gallon tank till the blend was 50/50 then we would keep it at 50/50 for the winter, I personally run #2 when ever I can get it as I use additive year round and gelling has never been an issue...............coldest start so far was -42...............dont even want to figger the chill factor in :eek: