Will this work? another oil drain

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This summer I will be pulling my motor one last time to fix oil leaks and put in the torque cam. One thing that leaks like crazy is the turbo drain I think, somehow the valley pan gets filled with oil. Anyways, I would like to do a different type of drain, one that has braided line and not just the slip in fit with a grommet. A friend did this when he turboed his volkswagon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Any thoughts?

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I dont see why you wouldnt be able to do it, as long as you are able to find a way for it to attach somehow to the turbo....

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Will work just fine but I wonder why it's leaking in the first place. In some of the older valley pans one would have to knock drain holes in the tang of metal that appears just under the opening for the CDR/turbo drain access hole because this was a splash guard if you will but it couldn't handle the amount of flow that the turbo had so it would back up and leak out around the tube - I wonder if this is what's going on with yours.... Have you checked this? if not you might pop the tube out and use a screw driver or punch and create some drain holes for the oil to escape through before going to the trouble of installing fittings and such.

Now that said.... hooking up the fittings would look schweet.... and you would get a hat's off from me for that mod...

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
You could run it like a 6.5 and go right down to the oil pan with the hose and forgo the whole valley pan thing, or T into the dipstick or oil fill cap like STS does on their turbo kits.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Easier to me to plumb the drain line into a spot which not only is right under the turbo, but already in use for oil vent purposes.

I do have a question though...does anyone know if the oil FEED line is regulated in any way? I'm debating replacing my tiny steel line with a larger flexible one...but don't want to increase any oil consumption. Thoughts?

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah when I take the engine out, I will pull the oil pan off and i guess tig a fitting onto the oil pan that is above the oil level. Other than it being air tight and impossible to leak, It would look pretty cool, and I might also have the room to put the factory cdr back... idk.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Yeah when I take the engine out, I will pull the oil pan off and i guess tig a fitting onto the oil pan that is above the oil level. Other than it being air tight and impossible to leak, It would look pretty cool, and I might also have the room to put the factory cdr back... idk.

you cant run the CDR in the factory spot and have a turbo, it will pressurise it and the crankcase, and possibly cause lots of oil leaks