Will it work? Or your suggestions?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you already know of R&D; you might want to go over there and talk to Justin. I know he can sell you any and all the zoomy parts you can afford! :p

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
Macrobb - yea, I'm a short drive to where they are. Sent a message through their site a few days ago, but no response.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh Bear, did you search images for "locomotive smoke"? There's some that look awesome! You must be one of them younger guys. I'm old enough to remember one once when I was little. It was used locally to move cars. I'll look into the cooling mod and a cam. I've thought about a cam but gotta draw a line "somewhere!". But I guess it could still be an option. Depends, like with everything else on my list, what can I afford. Where in Wa. are you. I'm in Spanaway/Graham area.

HAHA! I didn't actually search it, I've seen video of them before. But I did just now and about 20% of the pictures are diesel powered trains dumping black soot everywhere...weird. But yeah some of those coal burning steamies are a sight to behold!
For what they do, a good cam is cheap. Less than $200 from Typ4. I get not spending too much on a rebuild...it's a hole that can get deep quickly!
I'm in North Bend, exit 32 off I90.

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
North Bend just far enough, but still too close to Seattle! Sure hope you don't have to do the I-90 commute. Looks like a cam should be on the list. And I finally remembered the cooling mod. Why did Ford plug up those passages? For emissions? DUMB! And I wonder if the term "rolling coal" doesn't refer to those old coal fired steam locomotives? Just picture a F350 with that powering it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Macrobb - yea, I'm a short drive to where they are. Sent a message through their site a few days ago, but no response.
Justin's a one man show. You have to give him time to respond. Some people say that they have to make several calls before he picked up the phone. If you're that close, then it would definitely be best for you to stop by.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah.

I unfortunately feel a motor build (hopefully later than sooner) coming in my future after recent events. Think I’ll take the time to do this one myself.
Just can’t trust it after the oil leak debacle? Or has another issue surfaced?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just can’t trust it after the oil leak debacle? Or has another issue surfaced?

It seems okay but it’s got me nervous. Need to work it a little before I’m convinced. This engine has had issues from day 1. I’m 99% sure when I sent it back to promar they sent it back with factory valve springs. I don’t know what they did to the heads after the piston valve interaction. I don’t know what they did to the pistons (I doubt they put new slugs in it). I’ve always had the temperature issues. I’ll find out if my bandaid for that is going to work eventually. All depends on if I can get it where I need it to be with what’s there now. Redoing the engine now is a little less daunting since the rest of the truck is basically done. When it still needed one of everything, I couldn’t spread myself that thin. Hopefully it can wait until next winter at least. I’ve got another 7.3 that was originally in the truck sitting in the garage so in theory I could redo it and swap it over a couple weekends.

OP sorry for the thread jacking.

WIZ-KID

Reaction score
COOL! (pun intended) I do like the visual. Really makes me wonder even more how stupid it is to block off those water jackets!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ones in the front corner should definitely be blocked off - remember, the water pump only pumps X GPM. Water takes the easiest path - if there is a shorter, less restrictive path(in this case out a front hole and back to the return right next to it), it won't have nearly the cooling going to other parts of the head.

It looks like they were trying for a "cross-flow" type design where the coolant comes up the edge of each cylinder and straight across the head between the two valves, then back along the top side. The holes are probably sized such that the water pump pulls relatively equally from each, so you don't have a cold front cylinder and hot rear one.
Despite that, the rearmost cylinders are expected to be hotter than the rest(lack of cooling? Or just burned oil?) if you look at the piston-to-cylinder clearance specs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828