Why the hate for Teflon tape?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it boils down to operator error.

NOPE because no matter HOW careful you are once you screw the fittings together it cuts and when/if you remove the fitting for some reason and re-assemble it you drive that crap into the very thing you are trying to seal...NOT GOOD, you cannot see that ***** when it's wet with diesel or oil and those small bits get worked into the threads...NO amount of GOOD operator is going to alleviate that part of the equation...

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... operator error. Once a body understands how pipe threads work, they'll be able to assemble parts without a problem.

The threads seal. Tefflon is a lubricant. Sealant is a bandaid.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 and counting...cb
SIMPLE

It was designed for plumbing water lines in gardens and houses. It is just a LUBE not a sealant and there are plenty of LUBE/SEALANTs out there that work well in every environment we have on our trucks!

It gets cut/torn and so forth, and shreds into tiny particles than can and do over time accumulate in the various systems it's used to seal; be it hydraulics on farm equipment,,,I SO HATE THAT causes me all kinds of problems hunting that ***** down and clearing it out...fuel systems on trucks....I SO HATE THAT causes all kinds of problems especially if it gets into the IP, oiling systems, I SO HATE THAT, causes all kinds of issues gumming pumps and caught in small orfices/ports and so forth and if filter gets clogged you got that ***** going to bearings and other locations stacking up like a STOP LEAK for rads starving oiling systems...

Ya that's baaaaad *****^^^^ imagine if some ******** used it on aircraft and it caused a problem that causes a crash...not like you can pull over to side of road and stop...

I have personally seen TT in carburetors and oiling systems and hydraulic systems and the bottom line is from personal experiences and those of others I won't use it in my truck.

Thats how I roll!

Al

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MAY NOT being the definitive word... +2 cb
I have used it on my oil systems and fuel systems. But way back then I did not know any better. I learned fast. If you going to use it do not run it down to the end of the threads. Leave the first 2 threads clean. That way it may not get stuck in the system if it migrates.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
need we say more????=3 cb
It has been totally outlawed in the nuclear power industry as well as the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program. I have seen that stuff in some of the damnedest places you could ever imagine. It may work well on water lines and fittings in homes but I don`t use it anywhere else

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seeing a trend yet??? +4 cb
Flew to chicago once while working for Evergreen to see why a new perkins would not run correctly, determined it was the pump and or injectors, pulled them and the shop found tape bits in both. the mechanic used it on the tank to transfer pump fittings and it migrated. not good.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rectorseal is NOT teflon, great white I dunno,,,, but your right as to verry few exist on our trucks...=4 CB
Teflon tape, when used properly and in the right situations, is a wonderful product. Unfortunately, very few of those situations are found on our trucks.

I prefer the paste version, like Rectorseal or Great White.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YEP THE OPPERATOR ERRORED IN thinking water and oil mix!!!!
THE WHITE TEFLON STATES "NOT FOR PETROLEUM USE ON THE MSDS!!!!!
AS AN O0LD PLUMBER ,,,USE YELLOW GAS TAPE OR RECTUMSEAL!!!!!
Sounds like it boils down to operator error.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK SO i MIGHT HAVE HADDA A FEW BEERS after the ol pissed me off!
AND yes THERE ARE MANY INSTANCES WHERE IT HAS WORKED FLAWLESSLY,, JUST AS SILICONE HAS,,,, and as many failures for both!
rant over cb

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
teflon tape for air or water where little bits of teflon wont hurt anything runnng through the system, but for anything where the system has small ports like solenoid valves or intricate pumps, i use ptfe paste, light grease or even neverseeze over teflon tape

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess I kinda prompted this discussion on TEFLON TAPE

SCENARIO: 1980 Ford Mtr. Lima OH Engine PLt. 460 CID Block line final washer. A 3/4" hydraulic line broke, when replaceing it on the afternoon shift, TEFLON TAPE was used on the fittings. Next day, some of that tape got into the hydraulic valves, that shut down the operation. Now just try and troubleshoot a situation like that. Long story short. took 10 hours to clean out the whole hydraulic system. Estimated cost, loss of production, $225,000. Evidently tape was used when the unit was first built, when screwing the fittings in on the repair, it evidently pushed some shreds into the system that was left in the female threads. As Gen. Foreman of maintance, that's when I outlawed the use of TEFLON TAPE use on any hydraulic system.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its about using the correct tool for the job. I can't think of a single thing on our trucks were teflon tape is the best tool. You can hammer a flathead screwdriver into a phillips head, and you can use jb weld to seal valve covers, but they are all bad ideas that might actually work at the moment. I prefer to do things right or not at all rather than having to spend a silly amount of hours fixing something later.