Why Is It So F'ing Hard To Find Parts I Want For an OBS?????

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I thought at first I was an idiot, then realized that has always been the case, but has nothing to do witha good truck.

Maybe I got into an OBS as EVERYTHING it needs has become dis-continued as of last freakin' week. That, or some of the cool stuff I want just isn't available for that year/bodystyle. Some is easy stuff like a plug & play RV plug for the bed (not available with both plugs to include the trailer brake wire) & some is harder to find(like power step running boards - not made for anything before 1999).

Anybody know where I can find either of those items?? I know the power steps are available somewhere because I saw 'em on a truck on you tube. lemme see if I can post the link.....

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Here's the step I'm looking for. Although, I'd like them to run from the front to the back door as one step. But I'll take what I can find. Watch when he opens & closes the door. Sweet truck too;Sweet Anybody know this guy or truck?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
never heard of 'em but I like em. Thanks. Wonder if they make longer arms for 'em. I got 3"'s of lift on 305's.

The one i saw was for the 99 and the guy rigged the mounting bracket it went the whole way i think it is here?

I thought about trying to rig something up with a set of amp research steps but they are too pricey to be screwing around with & find out it won't work. Thanks though.

I'm gonna check Jegs & JC Whitney too. Never even thought to look at Summit. If anyone else has knowledge of these. pipe up.

tknomaj

Reaction score
Yes they do make Kodiak steps in a 12" version or they make the kits to convert standard drop to the long version

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Was just on there site. I really like these. Didn't see anything stating I could do all 4 doors though. I saw the 2 different versions in 8" & 12" though. Big jump in price for the 12"s. Only thing I've found close to what I want though.

Anybody have these or seen them in person?

tknomaj

Reaction score
I called them a few months back and was told that the same kit would work front and back and pin switches for rear doors would have to be installed or rears would have to run off front switch

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I called them a few months back and was told that the same kit would work front and back and pin switches for rear doors would have to be installed or rears would have to run off front switch

Why not tie them into the dome light/cargo light. If you have the remote keyless entry, when you push the unlock button all four steps would activate. ;Sweet

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I didn't get remotes with the truck when I bought it but I'm sure it is remote capable. I was reading the online install instructions & it would seem to me there are a bunch of better ways to activate the steps.

Since they are single steps per door though, i would like them to work independent of one another as most of the time it's just me jumping in. I may start with just the rear doors for the kiddies & see how that goes as money is tight. Both my wife & I are on the taller side so we can do without for a while. Still need to put airbags in, convert the rear to disc brakes & tint the windows for kiddie comfort while traveling. Once all that is done, I'll consider steps up front if the performance bug doesn't bite me by then.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is it so hard to find aftermarket parts for the OBS???

Because the OBS is quickly falling into step with the IDI in terms of "outdatedness". Sucks to say, but its true. The newest OBS is already knocking 12 years old. Do you realize how many MILLIONS of pickups have been sold on the SD platform since early 99? The aftermarket companies cater to that crowd.

tknomaj

Reaction score
Watch Craigs list People are trading in their "old" trucks and removing these before trade to get some cash I purchased 8 for 400.00 from a kid doing new car prep at toyota dealer will have to fab brackets but the price was right and i have spares in case of failure GLAD I don't have a BACK SEAT LIKE OTHERS HERE:rotflmao:rotflmao OH That's right i do but it has speaker behind it not parts . Sorry Gary but had to :D That extra intercooler wont fit behind seat though I KNOW the SIZE OF THE BOX!:rotflmao:rotflmao

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Why is it so hard to find aftermarket parts for the OBS???

Because the OBS is quickly falling into step with the IDI in terms of "outdatedness". Sucks to say, but its true. The newest OBS is already knocking 12 years old. Do you realize how many MILLIONS of pickups have been sold on the SD platform since early 99? The aftermarket companies cater to that crowd.

Yeah, I know that but I figured looking in the odd ball places would yield what I wanted. Not the case. I've found most of what I want & should have no trouble with pumping up the motor. Just trying to make it comfy for the family to pull the fiver. I have the last year OBS & just didn't think it would be so difficult to find things I wanted. Still alot of them running around where I live. It coming together nicely though. Might have to fab a few things for the airbags to work with my hitch though. No big deal I guess, just running out of time as our first trip is in 2.5 weeks. Was trying to do as much bolt on as I could.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Sorry, haven't snapped any yet. Had alot going on around the house the same time I brought it home & the wife said if I tinker with it anymore before I finished the dining room, she'd kill me. Since then, I've been trying to keep my business afloat so I've been doing some seat time in the Peterbilt. Plus, someone sent the Seattle weather to MD & we haven't seen the sun in 2 weeks so it's pretty dirty right now. As soon as the weather clears, I'll scrub it down & get some pics. Looks great covered in rain spray thoughLOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online