Why does a gooseneck tow better

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I was on I-90 headed east with a coup[le tractors -I hit a real fasst head wind. I could almost se my fuel tank dropping,40MPH was all I could get.Prior to that I was crossing Iowa (same load) at 65-75 no problems. When I gave up and pulled into a truck stop -it was full of trucks sitting for the same reason -(Dodges - Duramax-P strokes , big trucks LIL trucks) I bet my fuel dropped by 1/2 it was costing me to move (coffee was cheaper) The others felt the same -a few hours later I left ,wind died-fuel MPG came up. At the same speeds wind was eating all my torque , HP - fuel. After I left I ran around 75 and my mileage was better then in the wind.
In the eaarly 70s i drove COE cornbinder with a 238 detroit. From home to the PA border on I90 I could make it on what fuel I carried -however in a strong head wind I was 50 miles short on the border when I had to fuel.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on I-90 headed east with a coup[le tractors -I hit a real fasst head wind. I could almost se my fuel tank dropping,40MPH was all I could get.Prior to that I was crossing Iowa (same load) at 65-75 no problems. When I gave up and pulled into a truck stop -it was full of trucks sitting for the same reason -(Dodges - Duramax-P strokes , big trucks LIL trucks) I bet my fuel dropped by 1/2 it was costing me to move (coffee was cheaper) The others felt the same -a few hours later I left ,wind died-fuel MPG came up. At the same speeds wind was eating all my torque , HP - fuel. After I left I ran around 75 and my mileage was better then in the wind.
In the eaarly 70s i drove COE cornbinder with a 238 detroit. From home to the PA border on I90 I could make it on what fuel I carried -however in a strong head wind I was 50 miles short on the border when I had to fuel.

Anyone who's ever had to drive a 238 Detroit for more than a short haul gets a hats off and bow from me. LOL

A 318 ain't much better.

Then factor in the :puke: cab-over :puke: and it would sure make for a long ride.

As for the camper versus gooseneck debate, axle placement on the trailer plays a big part in how easy it pulls.

Campers have the axles way forward so that old grandpas don't have to swing wide on turns.

Goosenecks usually have the axles way back there, providing far better weight transfer, thus easier pulling.

Also, most campers have far too light-duty of tire for the load, thus the tires are flattened, creating lots of rolling resistance.

As far as how well the gooseneck pulls over a bumper-hitch, the bumper-hitch acts like a big hinge, constantly see-sawing back and forth.

A bumper-hitch, sooner or later, will get you killed; they are highly un-safe.

You might get away with it for a while; but, sooner or later, physics are gonna take over and you are in for a bad ride. :eek:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aerodynamics are why I tow a low trailer behind my truck instead of loading up railings on top like I used to years ago. Loading is also easier. I have also switched to running the truck without a canopy as much as possible and that saves fuel too.

Its also making me think about getting a bed cover and making some form of belly pan. Whats the only thing that has worse aerodynamics than a brick? The underside of just about any truck! LOL

Aerodynamics are also a big reason why the prius gets above average fuel economy on longer trips. It has little to do with the hybrid powertrain unless you are getting into lots of stop and go situations. Although they still can't hang with a diesel for cross country touring.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Anyone who's ever had to drive a 238 Detroit for more than a short haul gets a hats off and bow from me. LOL

A 318 ain't much better.

Then factor in the :puke: cab-over :puke: and it would sure make for a long ride. :eek:

I hope you got a lot of hats!
it had no ac - drove it allover the Eastern 1/2 of the US (colorado to MA-FL the dakotas to Texas) coast ,drove an Emeryville B4 that w/ a 190 cummins. Thought I was a 'big Dawg" when they got me a brandy new Ford 9000 cab over w/ a 318 & a 13 over & AC even!! In 72 I went to hauling freight in a U model Mack (lop sided puppydog)w/a 238 maxidyne & a 5 speed-no ac 1 seat And an all metal cab (union freight truck) In 78 I got another Mack (brand new assigned to me same as the first NO FRILLS!! 2,250,000 miles later I was still driving it when the company closed its doors. That was an awsome truck 138 HP torque that made it competitive w/a 290 even w 40 plus thousand puonds of Beer on it.During slow times I hauled gravel in v8 thermodynes w 4x5 twin sticks - Liquid natureal gas fron Montreal in maxidynes - gosh U name it I drove it. I can still remeber getting into a 350 cummins WOW !then a 435 detroit OMG!!! then a 4 1/4 cat Heaven!!!! with a 9 speed over & 3:55 rears it would cruise at 100 plus , and top out over 110.I almost olst it one noght when a slower truck puled out in front of me near Hickory NC -around 95 to 100 he was doin 70,(I learned a good lesson that night. in 89 I stopped driving haven't drove a semi since then. Compoany went broke - I went to Plant maintainence. Felt like I was in a cage -I'd look out the windows and think WTheck am I doin here.

Last edited:

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Wow. Semi truck High drag(1.20) here are the results....

Air Density Computed is 0.00225
Aerodynamic "Drag Factor" is 0.25512
Rolling "Drag Factor" is 9.98637
Computed Aerodynamic Horsepower Required is 187
Computed Rolling Horsepower Required is 26
Computed Frontal Lift Force is 71 Lbs.

Straight truck High drag 1.00

Aerodynamic "Drag Factor" is 0.21260
Computed Aerodynamic Horsepower Required is 156

somewhere between Low and medium straight truck drag Coeff .8

Aerodynamic "Drag Factor" is 0.17008
Computed Aerodynamic Horsepower Required is 125

Last one is about spot on with the max guestimated HP the truck had since stock it is 134HP at the crank.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you got a lot of hats!
it had no ac - drove it allover the Eastern 1/2 of the US (colorado to MA-FL the dakotas to Texas) coast ,drove an Emeryville B4 that w/ a 190 cummins. Thought I was a 'big Dawg" when they got me a brandy new Ford 9000 cab over w/ a 318 & a 13 over & AC even!! In 72 I went to hauling freight in a U model Mack (lop sided puppydog)w/a 238 maxidyne & a 5 speed-no ac 1 seat And an all metal cab (union freight truck) In 78 I got another Mack (brand new assigned to me same as the first NO FRILLS!! 2,250,000 miles later I was still driving it when the company closed its doors. That was an awsome truck 138 HP torque that made it competitive w/a 290 even w 40 plus thousand puonds of Beer on it.During slow times I hauled gravel in v8 thermodynes w 4x5 twin sticks - Liquid natureal gas fron Montreal in maxidynes - gosh U name it I drove it. I can still remeber getting into a 350 cummins WOW !then a 435 detroit OMG!!! then a 4 1/4 cat Heaven!!!! with a 9 speed over & 3:55 rears it would cruise at 100 plus , and top out over 110.I almost olst it one noght when a slower truck puled out in front of me near Hickory NC -around 95 to 100 he was doin 70,(I learned a good lesson that night. in 89 I stopped driving haven't drove a semi since then. Compoany went broke - I went to Plant maintainence. Felt like I was in a cage -I'd look out the windows and think WTheck am I doin here.

I been there with the Emeryvilles and 190s; weak as water but they would get you there.

I have put millions of miles and countless hours in various R-model and DM-cab MACKs; mostly 237s; 5-speeds, 6-speeds, duplexes and triplexes, plus a few R-models and SuperLiners with 300 and 350 MACK power, but 9- and 13-speeds.

Louisville Line Fords are a dime a dozen around here; everybody gets to drive one sooner or later.

I have done the Peterbilt and KW thing, too; plus several I-H, Western Stars and even a few VOLVOs.

Rock, black-top, creek gravel that we had to load ourselves, milk, block heating wood that was waste from a pallet-mill, crude-oil, fuel, new farm gates, heavy equipment, agricultural equipment, etc., etc, are all in my resume.

99% of my hauling has been livestock.

I started out hauling :puke: hogs :puke: from various stockyards to Elm Hill Packing (I believe it was) in Lenoir City Tennessee, plus Fischers and such that were interconnected with Bourbon Stockyards in Louisville (now all gone; no sign of their ever being there).

I will absolutely never haul another hog again, NEVER.

I long haul cattle, and often horses. :)