White smoke

Jacobmott

Reaction score
I need some help I bought a 1988 f350 7.3 idi has ats turbo????? I changed injection caps an fuel lines an now I have a knocking sound an don’t have the power I used to have CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELP ME IM NOT A DIESEL MECHANIC BUT WILLING TO LEARN MORE ABOUT IT ?????? I AM Mechanically inclined so any info would be thankful for

Jacobmott

Reaction score
IF U KNOW WHAT IT IS PLZ CALL ME 337-842-5577 ARE TEXT ME JUST GIVE NAME AN WHAT IT U THINK THE PROBLEM IS THANKS AGAIN

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Some thoughts

1) A bad injector can knock like a loose connecting rod, if it knocks at idle you can put a rag over the injector line and loosen the nut till it squirts/leaks.(Wear eye protection.) You will notice the knock go away when the offending injector is not working Because the line is loose. Also pay attention, any cylinder that does less to change rpm when disabled should be looked at. Perhaps during the work some dirt/dust got in the injector line hole. That dirt/dust now causing one or two injectors to leak, stay open, or open late.
2) Any chance you reversed any injector lines? If you left the line clamps on not likely but if you took off the clamps and put the lines on you may have two lines going to the wrong injectors.
3) Make sure you clean off the injectors and return lines with brake cleaner. Do any now leak?
4) Lastly make sure all the metal injector lines are tight and not leaking. You want them snug tight not hulk tight which can ruin them. Look at the pump side and injector side.
5) Make sure there are not intake leaks between the turbo and intake manifold, that leak will bleed off boost and cause a lack of power.

Don’t stress you have not done anything to kill the motor. Just something went wrong when you did the work. Happens to all of us sooner or later.

Last edited:

Jacobmott

Reaction score
I did this about 2 weeks ago an it hasn’t been right ever since lol like I said I’m not a Diesel mechanic

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Staff online