White Smoke...timing?

turboman1

Reaction score
Got my truck put back together....new fuel lines, cleaned both tanks, new IP, and cleaned all the injectors.

Truck is the 89 in my sig.

First time a really got the truck warmed up to go take it through emissions and once warm it started smoking white. The more rpm the more smoke. There is a pretty good puff when you shift too. Truck never burned oil or smoked white before I replaced most of the fuel system.

Sound like a timing issue? To far advanced?

Doesn't seem to smoke anything when cold...just seems to be when at operating termperature

Thanks
Adam

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Did you do any injection pump work like changing it. If so then your timing is off to the retarded side. Advancing it will help but it really needs to be timed by a meter. When the engine fires up in the cold starts do you hear it rattle like a powerstroke till the fast idle cold advance drops out. And then it smokes white. If so the cold advance is putting in the advance correctly. then it drops back when its warm and you loose the cold advance so its not retarded. Try moving the injection pump towards the passenger fender about 1/16 inch and test it. Also if you replaced the injection pump did you remove the housing and the pump and the gear still attached. If so you may have the gears not timed correctly.

turboman1

Reaction score
I replaced the IP...never removed the IP gear cover housing so I don't think its the gear teeth being misaligned. I do not have a meter, but I already moved it about a dimes width (thin dimension) towards the passenger side past the timing mark on the gear cover housing...that is about where the old IP was at.

If it helps any this IP is actually for a 6.9 but was turned up about 30% more mm^3 from the 6.9 spec since it was going on the 7.3

Cold start this morning and it started right up no problem (had a little white puff at initial start up and then was clean). Didn't get it up to operating temperature but it didn't smoke any white after the initial startup.

I'll just try advancing a little more and see if that cleans it up.

Thanks
Adam

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your white smoke goes away when the cold advance solenoid is energized, then you are probably 3 to 5 degrees retarded AT LEAST. If you already have the pump turned toward the passenger side, then I'd be suspicious that something may be wrong with it.

turboman1

Reaction score
Fixed it...pump actually turned back a little from where I originally set it. Also passed emissions :D

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

Adam

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
:sly:thumbsup:Now get it timed with a meter. If your interetsed in renting a kent Moore J33300-A meter from me take this to the pm board and ask questions. I have been renting meters for several years to members here because nobody out there offers this any more. Ford has thrown us away and thats a shame on them. We can make do without them with the help offered on this forum...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online