White Smoke At Highway Speeds

jchristie

Reaction score
I recently bought a '93 IDI (na) with 129k on it. Today I drove it for its first "longer" drive for about 2 hours. Around an hour into the drive, I noticed I was constantly putting out white smoke. As I got closer into the city, I was able to get more smoke in 4th gear going approximately 50 mph and also when I would shift out of 2nd gear.

I've never noticed a white smoke issue on startup. I've already changed the coolant, and tomorrow I'll change the oil. From reading other threads, it's a good idea to start monitoring these levels.

I'm new to diesels and IDI's. Any ideas or direction to head in?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check coolant level and for bubbles...one does not want to be burni g water....

History of used is hard to determine but did you replace coolant with the correct tupe for DCA additive?

Could be coolant cqusing white smoke but dont know if it smells sweet or like unburned fuel.

Report back on if loosing coolant.

Might be poor injector and not times right too...

JM7.3CW

jchristie

Reaction score
So it is loosing coolant. Recently I changed it to the SCA precharged coolant and distilled water. I just walked outside to look at the level and it's probably 3/4" less than when I was done flushing the coolant. I know I ran the engine and let the thermostat open up, but I haven't ran it quite like I did today. Am I being too optimistic in thinking the coolant hadn't ran completely throughout the block?

I'm the third owner, and I know the owner before me, who only had it for a year, did not know what cavitation was. When I was purchasing it, I looked for bubbles in the coolant, and didn't see any. Unfortunately, I was looking in the reservoir tank. From most that I've read, I would hope that with 129k it wouldn't be cavitation.

Also, this is the first time I've noticed white smoke while driving. Might have missed it, but I would be pretty keen about noticing something like that.

jchristie

Reaction score
So the mechanic did a coolant pressure test for one hour and found no pressure drop. Since I am losing coolant, would it be possible if there's a pin hole leak in the head gasket? He also said they did not notice any water intrusion when they changed the oil which confuses me further.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But is the radiator bubling?
If no, I say your waterpump, radiator, heater core, or hoses could slightly be leaking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jchristie

Reaction score
No, it does not bubble. I've noticed, though, it only starts happening once the engine is good and warmed up. I'll double check for no bubbling after the engine gets up to running speed and I've seen the white smoke while driving.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But that's when some leaks happen, when pressure gets built up. Try squeezing the upper radiator hose when it's warmed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same symptoms, after looking at everything you just did, determined the injection pump was dying.. replaced pump and injectors.. issue solved..

Could be, after hitting full temp from driving at highway speeds the pump starts to lay down.
Mileage is about right for the IP to get tired.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Continue to watch coolant level for a couple of weeks. If the level stabilizes then its injection pump and injector time. This forum can guide you thru the injector or the pump change-out. Please read the Hall of Shame forum for ebay sellers NOT yo buy from. This forum has done plenty or costly research on what companies to use or avoid. We can help.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
What is your timing set at?

My truck did the white/gray smoke thing when I got it. At times it was a lot of smoke. Timing was at 6.5*, changed to 9* and got rid of almost all the smoke, and upped my MPG from 8.5 to around 12, not to mention more power. My pump is old and is an issue, but that was over two years ago and I'm just now looking at replacing the pump. Could very well just be timing and get some more miles out of the fuel system if now is not a good time.

jchristie

Reaction score
Well, after watching coolant levels for a couple weeks, it quite losing coolant, but it started smoking more.

Fortunately by happenstance, I changed the fuel filter out, and that did the trick. No more white smoke.... yet. I guess I was overdue on dumping the water in the water separator.

Thank yall for your help and direction on this.

jchristie

Reaction score
No, it fires right up. Actually, it now starts better since I've changed the filter. What was the culprit for your slow start?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online