white "puff" smoke on start up

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did a little looking around and didn't find what i was looking for, So - lately seems that when i start the truck it wants to "puff" white smoke, its not constant almost like when it hits only a cylinder or 2 maybe... What could cause this? Once it warms up for 30 or so seconds it seems to clear...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad glow plug. That cylinder is not firing off when it is supposed to when its cold. Get a bit of heat in the cylinder, and it is off to the races.....

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i was kinda thinking.. glow plugs are only about 1.5yrs old, and in FL they don't get much of a workout..

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Understood. Down there you can get by with one or two failed and still probably start ok. Up here you KNOW when you have issues. Like today.... it is ~10:40 AM EST and we have just now reached 11 degrees Fahrenheit. Today is good plugs and the block heater just for good measure.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Cali really never has conditions requiring glow plugs unless your in a freeze area. Not many of us live in that inviroment either. For me a cold morning start with no plugs. Just turn key till the engine spins will take a few revs till it fires. That temp is usually around 55 degrees if and when I do that. Longer cranking builds oil pressure.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Today is good plugs and the block heater just for good measure.[/QUOTE]

chicken......:D

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah here in central KS too. now it's up to nearly 40.

Not quite time to open the doors on the shop yet tho.....:D

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Not to be a party pooper, but white smoke is not always dribbling injectors. If it does not persist, it probably is, but if it continues, or gets worse, try to determine if it is fuel or condensation. You may have a bad head gasket or worse.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever seen a diesel of any type that did not smoke a little bit on cold start-up. It's just unburnt fuel unless it doesn't clear up after it warms up.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the problem for a while. My understanding is that it is dribbling injectors. I have a leaking IP and possibly bad injectors as well. A bad injector is not "popping" at the proper pressure so as a result it dribbles out raw fuel onto the cylinder and sits there til you start it again or leaks down along the cylinder wall. Mine smokes every time I start it all day long regardless of temp of air or engine. It goes away after about 30 seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online