white/blue smoke low mpg low power

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That guy Agnem up there. He is Conestoga Diesel. I would contact him for a rebuilt pump and injectors. He'll get you a matched set of injectors instead of 8 with random pop pressures. And he'll do it cheaper http://conestogadiesel.com/products.html His pumps are also highly regarded on this forum.

We have a number of members around Sacramento area. Some of them even have timing meters. You can time it by ear but you would be very lucky to get the timing set close to what it should be. Timing is rotating the pump. What you are talking about is changing the fuel flow. I wouldn't suggest you pay for a shop to time an old pump that you are likely going to replace but I would suggest you pay to have it timed with a meter or rent a meter to time it yourself when you replace the pump. If the shop doesn't have a meter, I wouldn't pay for them to time it by ear.

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so while I was looking at injector pump after I drove it about 10 mins I noticed the VERY bottom left side of the pump was leaking passanger side what is that? Still need new pump or can I just tighten it?

woody5484

Reaction score
If its leaking out of the injector lines you can CAREFULLY tighten them and they should be fine, easiest way to do this you ask? Take the pump out. But if your at that point you should just replace it anyway. Had a few fuel issues with my truck when I got it, stick with it, its an easy motor to work on, very similar to alot of tractors.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aaron, if your within Striking distance of Sacremento, look up member Towcat here on this forum. He will be more help to you than you can imagine, and can time that engine for you, once you get it on and running. Read This Article for complete instructions on how to change your pump.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. What agnem is telling you about towcat is the truth. No matter whats been posted here I'm with those telling you the pump and injecters are way past the worn out stages. Generally speaking they live around 125,000 miles. Some more and some less. When you start up the engine cold do you hear it running louder and faster. Then as it warms up the sounds nearly goes away and the idle drops down. If so the injection pump internal advance and fast idle is working. That fuel leaking out the passenger side of the pump sounds like the inspection cover that looks like a baseball home plate with 2 bolts in it. Don't remove that cove if there is dirt around it. Under that cover is a very thin gasket that rubber like. Any fuel injection shop will give you one probably free. Its a tuff tight area to reach but clean it good before you work in there. Any dirt getting into the pump will ruin it fast. Are you capable of turning a wrench. Tell us what you have done so we can advise better what we feel you can handle. Replacing a pump and injecters is easy once you have done it but scarey for the first time. By the way who ever told you replacing a pump can ruin an engine is wrong. They only go on and off the drive gear one way no matter where the engine stops. Also those timing marks on the gear cover and the pump mean nothing so don't try using them as the marks. Only a timing meter will wotk to time your engine. Mels article about how to remove and install a pump and injecters it top of the line. Many here have used it for many years. If you can make contact with towcat hes a wealth of information too and located about 1/4 mile from the san jose airport. Great guy but busy all the time. Keep this board posted on whats happening. There is someone online day and nite.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
You probably have a bad IP and leaking injectors. I would hesitate to have the pump rebuilt by just anyone, they have particular settings and $500 is a lot of cash to waste if it doesn't work. Uhaul tech center on ebay has some good rebuilds, some of our members also do IP work (agnem). Get new or factory rebulit injectors.

2 hours from Sacramento could be a whole host of places, there are helpful oilburners all over the state. Unless you are in witness protection, don't be shy to tell us where you are. Unless it is in Downieville (JK).

These engines are pretty forgiving, but do need work once in a while. Like the gentleman said, it is the diesel equivalent of a tuneup, but only needed once every ten years or so.

It is also possible that you have a blown head gasket which can be checked by a cylinder pressure test. Most likely IP or injector problems, though.

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i bought a new pump from conastoga baby moose.. $650 not to bad for a reliable pump heard alot about the moose.. but ya $1000 what i have to spend then im out of money.. so $400 left for injecters

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I went to gas station today put half tank in it.. Started it up idled for about 3 sec then really rough then died.. Had to crank it for about 50 sec for it to get any life at all.. No smoke while cranking.. Still sound like injector pump injectors or a lift pump?

cr430c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in sac and have a timing meter. Let me know if you'd like to meet up. Pm me your location and let's see if we can't get it working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to private message. But I won't have my new pump tell the third should be on soon after that.. And I'm about 2 hours or so from sac idk if Santa Rosa has anything can't find much for diesel shops there

aaronr19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got my pump will have it on by friday.. but i drove about 2 hours yesterday and noticed the coolant lvl went down in resavour about a quarter.. head gasket? should i even replace the pump at this point?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7