Which would be better IDI vs Power Stroke

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking into buying my first diesel. I'm looking for a truck to drive back and forth to work, haul firewood, and pull an occational boat or trailer. The truck will be an F250 4x4 extended cab with a 5 speed and around 150,000 mi. I'm not going to try to trick the thing out, just keep it running for a long time. With all that said, which would be a better choice. A '94 7.3L IDI or a '95 powerstroke and why?

Thanks!
Mark

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Considering that you ar eposting this in the IDI section, you are going to get a biased response.

If you do not need crazy power and just want it to last, they are both pretty good candidates but I would say the IDI is better for reliability and working on and parts replacemement. All the electronic features on the PS are nice but not worth it in the long run IMO.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tought question. Both are good engines. For a first time diesel though, I'd say simple is better. Get an IDI, but get a good one. Don't buy a $500 one that has had 10 years of maintanance neglect. The 83-94 IDI engine family has so much commonality that you have 11 years of production to work with in finding parts. The 7.3 PSD would be the next in terms of near identicality with 8 years of platform development. After that, it's all kibbles and bits as far as engine longevitiy and commonality. IDI parts are flat out cheaper, and you need fewer of them. My first one is 26 years old and still going strong. I'm not sure how long 7.3 PSD parts will be around, since they were shorter lived and quickly replaced by the 6.0, 6.4, and soon the new scorpion or what have you. Even the 7.3 PSD is a dinosaur in the computerized truck world, although they did sell a ton of them. In your case, you have the choice between the best of the IDI, and the worst of the PSD. The first year of any diesel from Ford is never a good thing. :rolleyes: Well, yea 95' was the first FULL year.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know this is the IDI section, but I'm hoping for some honest feedback anyway, and it looks like I'm getting just that. I work in the Auto industry, and there's no way I'll actually buy a '95 because it is the first year. I'd actually want to look at '96 or '97. In my original question I was just trying to keep the variations to a minimum.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'd love to hear more.

Mark

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with the IDI or PSD up till 97. I like both and have seen both (with proper preventative maintenance) go an incredible amount of miles with very little failure.

That being said I would go with the 7.3 IDI I like simple and the IDI is a model of it. I would also recomend finding a clean one with some history and make sure it is turbo charged!

Good luck in your search :thumbsup:

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I have thought about buying a PSD, by I like the simplicity of my IDI. Parts (when available) are cheaper by far. I can buy a complete set of 8 injectors to put in my IDI for the cost of 1 PSD injector. :eek: The PSD are nice if you're looking for something that is "plug and play" for HP gains (i.e. - "chipping"). I have a turbo on my IDI and have no problems pulling loaded trailers, hauling firewood, or anything else that I've done with it so far. I also like the older IDI trucks because IMHO, the suspension was stronger/stiffer and it seems that you can haul more on these truck than your newer ones. I know first hand what these trucks can haul. :sly

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I bought my first diesel recently and decided to go with the IDI due to it's simplicity. I figured this would be a good truck to learn on. Maybe down the road I'll try a PSD, but if I take care of this one, that probably wont happen for awhile.

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either one. But, check the coolant additives. If both are low on the additives, and I had to choose between those two trucks and only those two trucks, I would buy the PSD over the IDI just because the cylinder walls on the PSD are less prone to cavitation (thicker) but if both have the proper additives and maintenance I'd lean toward the IDI. Less things to go wrong and no electronics (unless it has an auto tranny, but still no engine computer!;Sweet )
Check my sig, I have both and I plan to keep both! Each has it's positives and negatives.
Jerry

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The very early PSDs (94-95) don't have as much aftermarket support as the ones from 96 and up, but as long as you get a good one it'll do whatever you want. The PSDs are just expensive to fix and you can't field service them easily. The IDIs are good to start to learn on, add a turbo and a fresh injection system and it'll perform well for your purposes.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Considering that you are posting this in the IDI section, you are going to get a biased response.

If you do not need crazy power and just want it to last, they are both pretty good candidates but I would say the IDI is better for reliability and working on and parts replacemement. All the electronic features on the PS are nice but not worth it in the long run IMO.
We don't be biased around here, we are well rounded..... heck Mel even owens a PSD!;Really

I don't think you can go wrong with the IDI or PSD up till 97. I like both and have seen both (with proper preventative maintenance) go an incredible amount of miles with very little failure.

That being said I would go with the 7.3 IDI I like simple and the IDI is a model of it. I would also recomend finding a clean one with some history and make sure it is turbo charged!

Good luck in your search :thumbsup:
Yes If you know what you want and walk into it wide eyed you'll be ok!;Sweet

Either one. But, check the coolant additives. If both are low on the additives, and I had to choose between those two trucks and only those two trucks, I would buy the PSD over the IDI just because the cylinder walls on the PSD are less prone to cavitation (thicker) but if both have the proper additives and maintenance I'd lean toward the IDI. Less things to go wrong and no electronics (unless it has an auto tranny, but still no engine computer!;Sweet )
Check my sig, I have both and I plan to keep both! Each has it's positives and negatives.
Jerry
I'm with you on this one.....:love:

The very early PSDs (94-95) don't have as much aftermarket support as the ones from 96 and up, but as long as you get a good one it'll do whatever you want. The PSDs are just expensive to fix and you can't field service them easily. The IDIs are good to start to learn on, add a turbo and a fresh injection system and it'll perform well for your purposes.
I like my 6.9 a little harder to find heads and less power but for the ease of repairs it is great. i've had my 97 for over a year now and the only thing wrong has been the fuel pump. I'd almost like to have the 99 after having to replace that pump.... i like them both and would say buy two and don't worry!:thumbsup:

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm not going to pretend that I know something that I don't. What are the coolant additives that you're talking about, and how do I check them?

Some more questions if yall don't mind. How clean is clean when it comes to a truck that's 15 years old?

Does the factory turbo make that much difference? I know that manufacturers specs are normally just advertising, but the 7.3L turbo only looks to add 10 hp and 10 ftlbs of tq. That doesn't seem like much to me, but I don't know anything about them (as if you couldn't tell by the coolant additives question). The only two diesels that I've driven before were Mercedes cars. Neither had a turbo, and they both were a little sluggish getting up to speeds on the CA freeway, but other than that they were fine. The truck that I'm looking for is already somewhat specific (harder to find) so I'm not sure if its worth waiting to find one with a turbo too, or if maybe an after market turbo would be better to begin with.

So much to learn, so little time left before my truck dies....

Great information!
Thanks again!
Mark

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
SCA's (system coolant additives) can protect your engine from cavitation. Check the stickies about that term. You can test it with test strips from Napa.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
A IDI with a turbo is great. The numbers dont show how much more power you actually gain. Its an easy butt dyno improvement. Mine was night and day especially at highway speeds.

Guys will chime in about how the downpipe on the factory IDI turbos was VERY restrictive and when replaced with a aftermorket downpipe the engine performs better.....but thats second hand knowledge....

Good Luck....

Thad

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
At my house we have one of each, My 6.9 and my Stepdads 2001 PSD Excursion. I personally would rather have the IDI due to ease and simplicity of repais and the cost factor, especially cause Im only 19 still in school and have my Chevelle I need to fund as well :sly(needs the rearend rebuilt and i only want to do it once and they way i want it aint gonna be cheap...) Also the IDI is a very reliable engine and somewhat easy to figure out.

Dont get me wrong the PSD is a great Motor but when parts cost as much as they do and the wiring and electrical crap you have to deal with id stick to the simple one, Especially for a first diesel.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Okay, I'm not going to pretend that I know something that I don't. What are the coolant additives that you're talking about, and how do I check them?

Some more questions if yall don't mind. How clean is clean when it comes to a truck that's 15 years old?

Does the factory turbo make that much difference? I know that manufacturers specs are normally just advertising, but the 7.3L turbo only looks to add 10 hp and 10 ftlbs of tq. That doesn't seem like much to me, but I don't know anything about them (as if you couldn't tell by the coolant additives question). The only two diesels that I've driven before were Mercedes cars. Neither had a turbo, and they both were a little sluggish getting up to speeds on the CA freeway, but other than that they were fine. The truck that I'm looking for is already somewhat specific (harder to find) so I'm not sure if its worth waiting to find one with a turbo too, or if maybe an after market turbo would be better to begin with.

So much to learn, so little time left before my truck dies....

Great information!
Thanks again!
Mark

Go to the driest area of the country you can find, and find the cleanest one you can find. I'm in the Midwest, like you, and bought all my trucks (unless it was a super deal) from down South. Two trucks from Florida, one from Texas. Eliminate one hassle by buying something that does not need much bodywork or chassis work. The IDI's are not priced very high, no matter the chassis, just because of age and demand. If they have been taken care of they perform adequately stock; they won't set the world on fire. A tweaked pump and injectors really wake them up, and the turbo takes it that much further. But it will not run like a PSD, and as long as you are good with that you won't be disappointed.
The turbo system that was fitted to the Fords was an ATS system, and there are still plenty of IDI Turbos out there. The engine was strengthened to handle the boost, and there are some key differences between the NA and Turbo versions. Read the stickies and it will be the best primer about these things.
The other thing to do is drive all three style trucks (naturally aspirated, IDI Turbo, PSD) and decide from that. If it were my money, I'd get an IDI Turbo, one of Agnem's pumps (the milder version), a set of injectors and a really good timing and tune. It'll run almost as strong as a stock PSD but without the high bills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online