Power Stroke Starter on IDI?

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Tried googling the information and can't get it to pull up, I thought I've read somewhere that a 7.3PSD starter can go in an IDI? Is that correct? I was thinking about stickin a 6.0 or 6.4 starter on my IDI if it's possible as I know they are put on the 7.3PSD diesels. They have 3 bolts I know, but just two of them can be bolted in on opposite sides and works fine on the 7.3PSD

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they better? With the Powermaster being relatively cheap foe it's performance I'd just go with that one.

But a member here and on FTE @Macrobb had one that fit Dodges and I think he did the same thing with a PSD starter. Dunno why this site won't bring his name up when I search it. It's like he dissapeared somehow.
Edit: so weird! Click the link his bio comes up. But it won't generate his screen name when you type "@mac" so odd.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been researching the difference starters. Way I understand it, for a 7.3PSD there is a spacer that needs to be removed for it to fit the IDI. Then the 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 starters fit the 7.3 PSD. So logic says it I remove some sort of spacer from these starters it should fit my IDI?

I'm sure anything will be better than my stock starter at this point, just wanting a reliable better cranking starter best bang for the buck. If it's a difference of $25-50 I'm willing to pull things apart and put back together it make it work.

So far I've found these starters:

$200 7.3 IDI Starter

$160 7.3 PSD Starter

$400 "Mean Green" 7.3 Starter
https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/meangreen-reduction-starter-94-03-ford

$160-$220 6.4 Power Stroke Starter

I guess the big question is which starter will yield the best results. If power master starters are the same for all the engines, then that sums it up as well.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powerstroke starter looks the same and will bolt right up, but the starter gear will not extend far enough out to engage the flywheel.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The powermaster starter for the PSD is an IDI starter with a spacer. So, you can toss the spacer and use it for an IDI. Otherwise, just buy an IDI starter. The 6.4 starter doesn’t even look close.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 7.3IDI Power Master starter seems quite nice

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Tripple ditto on PowerMaster. They make quality heavy duty products. (They still care!) Have them in multiple vehicles.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also agree with going with the Power master starter.
Put one in over 3 years ago, and I agree with the guy on the video. It starts so quick don`t have time to release the key.

Also as I remember the cable connections are on the bottom and easier to connect. Been a while since I was under the truck to look at it.

Goat

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Power Master for the Power Stroke Engine is the same starter as the one for the IDI Engine.
Only difference is a spacer for the Power Stroke.
Take off the spacer and it works for the IDI.

Exact same Starter.

Power Master 9050 = IdI Engine

Power Master 9051 = Power Stroke Engine.

Goat